Don Silcock

Wide-Angle Macro Lens

Most single element dioptres are considerably lower in profile than the 500D. I have not tested all the varieties of dioptres so I have no informed opinion, but B+W filters are considered good quality.

Alex

We made a proof of concept for a small, light weight, and relatively inexpensive acrylic dome for Nikkor 10.5, 16, and Tokina 10-17 and Subal housings that I really like to use:

Ryan,

I have all of the lenses you mentioned (Nikkor 10.5, 16 and Tokina 10-17) and use a Subal housing. Is this small, lightweight and relatively inexpensive acrylic dome available to purchase? If so, how much does it cost?

I could see that a small dome like that would be great to have, especially for travel.

Thanks.

Ellen

Dave-

The large hood on Sigma's 15mm strikes the dome when placed correctly, and when you push it forward so it doesn't bump it vignettes.

Alex-

The mini dome you have uses a different dome than I have access too, and looks to be a little larger, so it might work wit Sig 15.

Ellen-

Just researching at this point, but it does seem like there is enough demand to offer this, and we will continue to investigate it. There are some problems that still need to be solved, but we are making progress.

Edited by Ryan

Has anyone had any focus issues with any of the fisheye's behind such small domes. I was just thinking about it, and if the infinity virtual image is 2 Diameters away, then with a four inch dome, the infinity virtual image should only be 8" away (6" infront of the dome). I imagine the newer fisheyes should be OK, but the 16mm nikon shouldn't work at all with a minimum focusing distance of 10.2"

Ryan,

I would be interested in one of these domes for my D300 and Subal housing. Probably using the 10-17.

Would this dome work with the Tokina 35 macro DX?

Thanks

Dave B.

Don,

Visit My Website

This is a page of my first day shooting this lens in SoCal

I have to find where I posted my shots from Fiji

Hi Don,

Equally important to having the right lens is also having the correct port. Subal's 4" domes are ideal. These are what allow you to light right on the dome - otherwise you end up lighting up the sides of fish, but not the faces. You can do the technique with a big dome - but you don't get the same quality of light as the small dome.

LM04.jpg

amustard_012.jpg

Alex

Thanks for the advice and also sharing those stunning images.

Did I miss it in these posts? Has anyone tried the Tokina 10-17 with a Kenko 1.4 or 1.5 Teleconvertor?

Regards,

Bob

Did I miss it in these posts? Has anyone tried the Tokina 10-17 with a Kenko 1.4 or 1.5 Teleconvertor?

Regards,

Bob

The Tokina is like the EF-s lenses and won't work (I think) with the teleadapters which only work with the EF lenses.

Bill

The 10-17 works with the Kenko 1.4x converter.

The 10-17 works with the Kenko 1.4x converter.

Thanks Craig. I think the manufactures have little idea what experimenters like you and Dr. Mustard are trying to do with your images. Checking on some lenses, using a teleconveter on less than 50 mm is not recommended. It great to be able tap into your KB.

Regards,

Bob

Just a teaser...

We have the glass (and it is beautiful), and a talented young mechanical engineer and I have completed about 13 different housing adapter designs.

Coming soon, to just about every housing near you:

DSC_6872-2.jpg

DSC_6875-4.jpg

Edited by Ryan

Just a teaser...

We have the glass (and it is beautiful), and a talented young mechanical engineer and I have completed about 13 different housing adapter designs.

Coming soon, to just about every housing near you:

Any idea on when these might be available? Any idea on price?

Or are you truly just teasing us :)

Ellen

Conservatively I expect we'll ship in quantities mid July. Price is not decided yet, but definitely under a grand. I chose to only produce glass, which will keep the price up, but will make for a much better product.

Edited by Ryan

Why is it that all talented engineers are always described as "young?" It's discrimination! :-)

Great job Ryan - it looks very promising.

Cheers

James

Ryan, that looks real Nice! Will there be one sized with the Subal 4th generation port mount?

Ha ha James, this one really is young :)

Yeah Walt, Subal 4th gen will be amongst the first ready.

Ryan, how do you expect this to compare with the Sea & Sea / Athena 6-inch glass dome port in terms of cost, quality, size, etc.

thanks -

Scott

Hello Ryan,

Is that available for Hugyfot? if so, could give its dimensions to check how different lenses would fit?

Thank you very much and congratulations!

Looks great Ryan!! Can't wait to get in the water and shoot with it. Maybe in time for my Whale Shark trip in July...

Ryan, how do you expect this to compare with the Sea & Sea / Athena 6-inch glass dome port in terms of cost, quality, size, etc.

I expect the results people get with the lens will speak for themselves... This opens up a completely new range of close focus wide angle opportunities that aren't possible even with a small-ish dome like the 170mm Athena Optic used by Sea & Sea. The glass is Schott BK7 w/ Broadband AR Coating.

Cost has not been determined, but I expect under $1000. Affordable for a glass dome, but expensive for one only compatible with a few lenses...

Is that available for Hugyfot? if so, could give its dimensions to check how different lenses would fit?

We have not designed for Hugyfot yet, but if there is enough demand we will.

Looks great Ryan!! Can't wait to get in the water and shoot with it. Maybe in time for my Whale Shark trip in July...

Thank you! July is conceivable.

Edited by Ryan

Any thoughts on how the Subal 6" dome compares to the 4" dome for fisheye use?

Any thoughts on how the Subal 6" dome compares to the 4" dome for fisheye use?

Neither DP-SWB or DP-SWC are compatible with full frame fisheyes, so I don't think they are comparable.

Hi Tim,

Is that the ZP1224-5 port that is currently listed on the catalogue?

When trying to light your subjects for the really close-in macro style with this port, do you use or remove the port hood?

I ask this because I see that some retailers are offering the port for sale without the hood attached...

Bruce...

:rolleyes:

My apologies...

... I dropped off the thread and never came back (Dr Mustard's fault, for dragging me off to Indonesia).

Yes, I think that's the port designation. I haven't removed the shade as it does't get in the way and offers a little physical protection. My strobes are level with the port, and in the 45-degree position. This does lead to backscatter, so the shot needs clear water and good diving technique.

While in Lembeh I found this whilst using the 10.5mm/teleconverter set-up:

post-4522-1243786771.jpg

Tim

:B):

Sponsors

Advertisements