marktol

Advice on Travel Insurance in the UK

Hi All,

Im after a bit of advice on Travel Insurance in the UK. Ive just booked a trip to Egypt in June and have come to look for some suitable travel insurance. I am really struggling to find a company that will offer sufficient cover for my kit. Im carrying my own BCD,Regs but more importantly ive got a Z240, G9 and Housing to worry about. It seems most companies have a 3 or 400 limit per item, and the z240 is double that to buy new!

Just wondering what solutions you guys are using to cover your kit, any adive on specific companies? Ive got DAN mambership so im covered for any medical incident etc so its just to cover my posessions -particularly my camera stuff!

I know I have a fairly basic setup compared to many of you so im sure I must be missing something online!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

I know a lot of people use Divemaster in Southend and they do have a good reputation. To insurance your camera gear you also need to insurance your dive kit as well. A word of warning, it is not cheap. I seem to remember that annual insurance for UK and abroad was something like 20-25% of the value insured. Personally I'd rather take the risk.

My camera, lenses and housing are all hand luggage and do not go out of my reach. The biggest risk is always going to be either when packing your gear into the hold or from leaving it at a dive centre. Don't do either.

Daniel

Hi Mark,

Another vote for Divemaster from me. Their travel insurance is excellent & allows you to dive to your qualification depth. Personally I think its pretty good value especially the multi trip & family policies.

Also use them for camera kit and as has been pointed out, it is expensive. But when I did have a problem it was taken care of, without any quibbles.

Hamish.

Hi Mark,

Another vote for Divemaster from me.

Hamish.

And me

Dive safe

DeanB

Another way is the Lloyds Gold Service Account which gives travel and equipment insurance FOC (minimum account balance required). I can upgrade it too to greater depth and higher values. And I've made a claim which was settled reasonably promptly.

Hi

I've just had to claim with Divemaster and they were really good!

It is worth checking into your home contents insurance cover for personal possesions too though.

Adam

Thanks everyone,

I had read about dive master somewhere and had a brief look at their web site - as you say its not cheap!!

I think I will have to give my contents insurers a call and be very carefull...!

As I only tend to get on holiday once a year annual insurance adds a fair bit to the cost - especially as ive paid for DAN membership which is £50 for a year as well.

Thanks for all the responses!

Mark

I use DEPP and others use DAN, they have loss (theft and flood insurance)

most travel insurance is very limited and does not adequately cover gear in case of a loss

Sponsors

Advertisements