scubamarli

5 New Pygmies described

Johnny Greenemeyer got a video of a pygmy seahorse unlike any yet known. It was in Towali and it was completely "hairy". On the video, you could only tell it was a seahorse when it moved. Hopefully, it will be seen again and classified.

Unfortunately the link didn't work. Normally Zootaxa only gives access to the first page (which is here zootaxa ) . You have to have a subscription to get complete publications unless the author pays extra to provide open access.

The other two species - H. colemani & H. waleananus - are described in another subscription only journal here Aquapress

Colmani has been known for quite a while. I found a healthy population on one site in PNG. Two years later, we were unable to locate any in that site. Those were the only ones I have ever seen.

Here's another one to identify... taken in 1997 in Wakaya Fiji. I totally apologize for the poor quality. It was taken on film with Nikonos V with 2:1 framer. Habitat was hydroids underneath a coral head. The tiny seahorses looked only like little white specks and I only really got a look after I developed the film.

post-8189-1236458063.jpg

Has anyone seen one of these?

Robin

Although it's definitely not where it was found, this does look a lot like the H.satomiae pictured on Takako Uno's article on DivePhotoGuide.com:

http://www.divephotoguide.com/articles/tho...pygmy_seahorses

Whatever it is, you probably found it first!

Cheers,

Marli

Marli,

Nope I don't get the credit for finding it... Russi in Fiji gets the credit.

While it seems somewhat similar to H. satomiae, it is much less "hairy" or dirty looking compared with the photo in the writeup you linked to.

Thanks,

Robin

post-14523-1236566641.jpg

If i compare it with my picture, i would also say it is a Hippocampus satomiae.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by M.Henke

post-14523-1236566641.jpg

If i compare it with my picture, i would also say it is a Hippocampus satomiae.

Cheers,

Michael

Yes, it sure is similar to your picture. And your picture is so far better than mine as well! :aggressive:

Sponsors

Advertisements