Sign in to follow this  
ibsroushdi

1st trip away with a DSLR

Hi all, very tentatively posting up a link to this gallery, as it says in the title i've just got back from my first trip away with my 'new' (new to me anyway) DSLR setup. I'd be very grateful for any feedback, particularly with regards to things i'm consistently doing wrong. These are what I thought were the keepers out of around 50 hours underwater with the new toys.

cheers

oh the link is http://picasaweb.google.com/ibsroushdi/Phi...key=a_-TY412OgA#

Well for starters thank you for sharing because you have an fantastic set of photos. There's not a whole lot there to criticize. Maybe the pros on here would have a more refined eye. If I had to pick on anything I'd say you need to do a little more post processing on a few of the pics to clean them up.

Wow, these are great. I don't see much to critique here at all. I'm sure that most of the experienced DSLR shooters on here would be more than happy with many of these images. If I had any comment, I would like to see more pop in the color but maybe that subdued look was what you were aiming for.

where in the Philippines did you take these?

Thanks! the photos were taken over 3 islands/areas, malapascua, alona and cabilao. Any advice on how to get the colors a bit more vibrant? all i've been doing post processing wise is correcting the exposure and blacks in the CS3 raw converter then adjusting levels, contrast, brightness and a little bit of a clean up and sharpen in photoshop.

I can concurr, I just got a dslr and have only done one trip. Wow, you sure found the great critters, what I would like to hear is more about your trip and where you stayed, etc. You could take some backscatter out of a few but, Well done!

Great shots!!

It's hard to comment the whole gallery, but atleast to my eye there are some of them with the "WOW" factor.

And some with not so good negative space where subjects are not popping out. I would like to see more natural blue color, since it is UW photo gallery :)

But most of the pic's are better than I have ever taken, so congrats and tahanks for sharing!!!

Scubamoose

Really great photos, so many good ones.... One question - what is that orange fish Pictures 124 - 129, I have not seen that fella before ?

Hi all, very tentatively posting up a link to this gallery, as it says in the title i've just got back from my first trip away with my 'new' (new to me anyway) DSLR setup. I'd be very grateful for any feedback, particularly with regards to things i'm consistently doing wrong. These are what I thought were the keepers out of around 50 hours underwater with the new toys.

cheers

oh the link is http://picasaweb.google.com/ibsroushdi/Phi...key=a_-TY412OgA#

Hello!

Thanks for sharing your photos. They are awesome, esp. the threshers!

I'm going to Malapascua coming x'mas and wonder what lens is suitable for shooting thresher shark. I have Tokina 10-17mm fisheye and nikon 60mm f/2.8. Are they suitable? If not, what lens is commonly used?

Also wanna clarify - is strobe not allowed for thresher?

Wow, my goodness, this is an amazing gallery. You have a "who's who" of "Top Critters" in here.

- Thresher shark

- Pygmy seahorse

- Soft coral crab

- Anemone shrimp

- Mandarinfish (breeding, no less)

- Flamboyant cuttlefish

- Blue-ring octopus

- Ornate ghost pipefish

Not to mention your more "mundane" subjects:

- Frogfish

- Randall's Goby (one of my all-time favorite fish)

- Pipefish

- Pajama cardinalfish

- Peacock mantis shrimp (I have one of these as a pet!)

Sigh...

All you need now is a manta, a great white shark, a whale shark, and an Ambon scorpionfish and you're done.

Next you're going to tell us these are all from one dive :)

Amazing work. And very good hunting.

Regards,

Dan

Really great photos, so many good ones.... One question - what is that orange fish Pictures 124 - 129, I have not seen that fella before ?

It looks like a crocodile snake eel to me...

Don't know how I missed these images before! You've done a wonderful job of capturing what you saw on your trip. It brought back a lot of memories for me as I recognized many of the same critters I saw in Indonesia last fall. There are so many excellent ones it's hard to choose a favorite but the one of the mushroom coral pipefish looking straight at the camera really impressed me.

Thanks for sharing.

Ellen

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements