Sign in to follow this  
donickco

what to get, please help

Im looking to move forward in the world of underwater photography. I currently have a canon SD870 with a canon underwater housing. I only have about $700-$900 to spend and im thinking my money would be best spent in lighting and later upgrading the camera and housing. What do all of you think of this lighting setup to start. ???

Ikelite Tray with Dual Release Handles for Olympus, Canon or Other Housing ... more info

MFR #9523.02 B&H #IK9523.02

Ikelite | Tray with Release Handle | 9523.02 | B&H Photo Video

* Strobe Head

* Exposure Value Manual Controller

* Deluxe Ball Socket Strobe Arm

* Diffuser

* 2 Year Warranty

Ikelite 3944.54 Substrobe DS-51 Kit for Digital Still Cameras with Exposure Value Manual Controller and Deluxe Ball Socket Strobe Arm - Rated up to 300'

MFR #3944.54 B&H #IK3944.54

Ikelite | 3944.54 Substrobe DS-51 w/ Exposure Value | 3944.54

and some backup orings

Ikelite O-Ring (Replacement)

Ikelite Silicone Lubricant Tube

Ikelite Silicone Lubricant (4) 1cc Tubes more info

Ikelite O-Ring (Replacement)

Ikelite O-Ring for Substrobes 50, 50s, AQ/S, M, MS & MV (Replacement) more info

total ~$780 shipped

please let me know if you think im making the right move

-Nick

Im looking to move forward in the world of underwater photography. I currently have a canon SD870 with a canon underwater housing. I only have about $700-$900 to spend and im thinking my money would be best spent in lighting and later upgrading the camera and housing. What do all of you think of this lighting setup to start. ???

First of all, I am not too familiar with that camera and housing, but I did notice a few things and here are my thoughts.

I'm wondering if that Ikelite strobe is a good choice for you. From what I understand, it is not as powerful a strobe as you might eventually want. I did notice that the cost for the entire package is $616.95 whereas the strobe by itself sells for $379.95 at underwater photo retailers. Before I plunked down that kind of money, I would definitely give Ryan Canon a call to discuss your choices with him. He's at Reef Photo and Video (the link to Reef Photo is right here on the Wetpixel site).

I also don't know if that strobe arm is the one to buy. Most folks here use either the TLC arms or Ultralight. But again, I would give Ryan Canon a call for the best advice.

Most importantly, welcome to Wetpixel and to the wonderful world of underwater photography! If you have other questions, feel free to post them here.

Ellen

Stay on B&H, or Helix, and look up the Bonica handle and tray. Its plastic, light, cheap and durable. I've had one for about 3 years now. Then go out and get yourself an Inon Z240, you'll never look back. In the meantime, here's a great site to compare strobes.

http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

Edited by ce4jesus

I agree with Ellen.

DS-51 might be enough for SD870 to shoot macro and closeups, but if You are planning to upgrade You'r camera, then this strobe will probably not meet You'r needs for wideangle shots etc.

Happy snapping

Scubamoose

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements