Sign in to follow this  
Bill22

Ikelite DS125 vs DS160

I'm ready to add a second strobe. I currently have a DS125. I was going to purchase a DS160 since the DS125's have been discontinued, but now have the opportunity to add a second DS125.

I checked with Ikelite and they tell me that I will be able to hook a DS160 with my DS125 on the dual sync cord and still have TTL (not the case with older DS125's that haven't had the upgrade).

The main differences I see:

DS160

Energy Rating 160 watt-sec

Recycle 1.5 sec

Guide # (ISO 100) 76' Surface-38' underwater

Full Power Flashes-225

Firing Modes-TTL, Full, 9 fractional powers

Modeling Light-5 watt LED

DS125

Energy Rating-110 watt-sec

Recycle Time-1 sec

Guide # (ISO 100) 64' Surface-32' underwater

Full Power Flashes-250

Firing Modes-TTL, Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8

Modeling Light-Built in Halogen

The big ones that jump out at me are number of full power flashes and LED vs Halogen for the modeling light.

Any comments on the advantages/disadvantages of both?

I need to make a decision soon. Thanks to everyone in advance for your input

I'll be watching this too since I have a DS-125 that I need to find a partner for.

Wasn't sure if I should go the used DS-125 or new DS-160 route.

Hi Guys,

As far as I can remember, no one has ever 'second-guessed' the abilities of the DS125?

Now that the DS160 is here, everyone is wondering which one is better, and if halogen is better than LED for the focus light?

If it were my decision, I would take full advantage of anyone cashing in their DS125 on a DS160 and be grinning from ear to ear,

being able to get such a great strobe at half the price. . . . woohoo.

From an asthetic point of view, I would also buy the DS125 over the DS160 so that I had a visually 'balanced' rig. I would also suggest, that if you are using the strobes in TTL, then the extra power of the DS160 would rarely be required, AND if indeed it was required, the DS125 would be recycled and ready to fire at least a whole half second before the DS160! Now that's gotta be worth the purchase for that reason alone!

Bruce...

I would also suggest, that if you are using the strobes in TTL, then the extra power of the DS160 would rarely be required, AND if indeed it was required, the DS125 would be recycled and ready to fire at least a whole half second before the DS160! Now that's gotta be worth the purchase for that reason alone!

You may need to think about that some more :) If the extra power were required then the DS125 would underexpose. I'd rather have a good exposure than hurry up and get another bad shot. The recycling rate of the two strobes appears the same anyway. There's 50% more electrical power and 50% more recycle time.

What does it mean to "second-guess" a strobe's abilities? I'm not aware that there was ever even a first guess! I would imagine the extra power is welcomed by some and the LED is an improvement to the extent it's important.

I got a pair of 160s after years of the 125. The 125s were fine but the 160 is a very nice upgrade. Get the 160.

Bruce is absolutely right - especially since I have a DS-125 for sale :)

See my ad in the classifieds or pm me.

Phil

It was suggested to me on another board, that I go ahead and get the 160, then sell the DS125 and use the money to defray the cost of buying a second DS160...end result is an upgrade to a dual DS160 system.

This is something to think about since the TTL will work using them together according to Ikelite. Realistically, I may not be able to do that for a few months. I've been buying both dive and camera equipment recently in preparation for an upcoming trip to the Philippines. In the meantime I'll have a dual strobe system for my upcoming trip.

I'm looking at a brand new DS125 system (not used) for $943 (with a dual sync cord replacing the single). I can get the DS160 for $1017.00. Not enough saving there to NOT get the DS160 if it's the better strobe and it matches okay with the 125. I'm wondering how the DS160 will match up with the DS125? Even if they do sync, there have to be differences I would think, between that setup and one that used "matched" strobes????

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements