Cal

Our World Underwater 2009 - results

Hey Cal, congratulations on your gold !!

Awesome effort :D

Congratulations to all the photographers :)

WOW! Stunning images!

Congrats to all participants!

Cheers

Scubamoose

Really stunning images (yet again)

Nice to see my friends Noam Kortler and Keri Wilks getting amongst the prizes :)

Well done Dudes

Nige Wade

A BIG well done to all winners and runners up. some truely inspiring images there. Very good to see a few names from Wetpixel there.

Stew

A great collection of pictures. Congratulations to all the winners!

Three cheers for all the winners. Congratulations!

What an awesome and deserving group of photos, congrats to everyone!!

Lots of beautiful and gripping stuff, many that make one catch his breath and drop a jaw! Congrats to all!

Congratulations to all the winners (Wetpixelers and others)! Well deserved.

Actually - the entry pool was outstanding. It's great to see so many images setting the bar so high.

I am sending this from the show floor in Chicago at Our World Underwater. The images were very well received. I presented a slideshow at the film festival Friday of the stills and Sat of the video winners. These will be updated on the UnderwaterCompetition.com site this week, as well as the actual video winners. Running around the show and doing all of the presentations, with a tempermental laptop, has been a handful otherwise the videos would be up already.

Time to pack up the show and head back home. Great competition!

Some really great images. I would be interested to know how the winning image was done. I assume as it was wide angle unrestricted, some manipulation was done. It does have an HDR appearance, and it would be interesting to know if this was just 'normal' PS enhancement / tweaking or an HDR technique was used.

If HDR was used, this would be a first I imagine as an underwater photo winner.

Edited by loftus

Congrats to all the winners. I've never seen so many stunning and unique images in one place. The bar is being raised every year.

Congrats to all the winners. The pictures are amazing!!

Film festival presentation!

Congratulations to everyone!!!

That winning video by Terry Maas is incredible :P

I agree...I've watched it now about 10 times and show everyone that will stand still in front of my computer. I just can't get enough of it!

AGREED! Amazing video! So very jealous.....

Jason did a great job putting these presentations together too.

Congrats everyone!

It does have an HDR appearance, and it would be interesting to know if this was just 'normal' PS enhancement / tweaking or an HDR technique was used. If HDR was used, this would be a first I imagine as an underwater photo winner.

As expected, it's simply standard exposure and fill flash.

Per comment:

Firstly, thanks to the staff of DivePhotoGuide and Wetpixel for selecting my image as best of show in this years competition. It is a real honour, particularly since there were so many images that could have easily made best of show. Please find some details below on how the image was captured and processed. It was the perfect afternoon for split photography. The water was like a sheet of glass and the sun was low and about to set on the horizon with hazy cloud overhead. I made several images, however this one stood out due to the striking composition. The man-o-war was almost touching the dome port when the shot was made and a single strobe was used at a downward angle to light the little critter and the seafloor (1 metre below). In post processing, I used Adobe Photoshop CS2 RAW plug-in to convert the image to a .tiff file. The .tiff was then rotated by one degree to make the water surface a straight line and slightly cropped to suit. Slight adjustments were also made to colour contrast, saturation and sharpening using Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Many congratulations Justin, the other category winners and to all those that placed. There were also many more stunning images that we could not squeeze into the winners' circle. It was an honour to judge.

For those planning on entering next year please have a look at the judges' statement and heed the advice regarding the traditional categories.

Alex

As expected, it's simply standard exposure and fill flash.

Per comment:

You would have thought the flash on the jellyfish bubble would have given that one away.

congrats to all, just awesome. The only person I know is NCmermaid, wtg!!!!! See you next year for the cenotes...scott

congrats to all, just awesome. The only person I know is NCmermaid, wtg!!!!! See you next year for the cenotes...scott

Thanks Scott! I am humbled to be in such talented company. And yes, the cenotes are a must do here but the reef diving doesn't suck either! :aggressive:

Sponsors

Advertisements