mtbrutger

Books

Can anybody recommend a good book on underwater photography?

the underwater photographer 3rd edition by Martin Edge is my choice

Stew

I totally agree with the others in saying that the best book to buy, without question, is The Underwater Photographer Third Edition by Martin Edge.

There is another book that you may want to get, although I don't recommend it as highly as the book by Martin Edge. It's The Essential Underwater Photography Manual by Denise Nielsen Tackett and Larry Tackett.

Hope that helps.

Ellen

Agree with all the folks above! Martin Edge's "The Underwater Photographer Third Edition" is the best !!! :D

Ditto,

Also consider the Howard Hall book; "Successful underwater photography". It uses a different approach that complements other books and courses.

Once you've got the recommended Martin Edge book and learned all about the technique, grab as many inspirational coffee table books as you can, and discover the style of pictures that you like.

Then you can apply your new-found skills to interpreting your subjects in the way you aspire.

My favourites are classics

David Doubilet's "Water Light Time"

Christopher Newbert's "Within a Rainbowed Sea"

I'm sure others have their favourites.

Jim Church's "Essential Guide to Composition - a simplified approach to taking better U/W pictures"

Is the Martin Edge's "The Underwater Photographer"-Book suitable for beginners??

Is the Martin Edge's "The Underwater Photographer"-Book suitable for beginners??

Yes it is!

I started out with that book with no knowledge about photography (neither land or UW) what so ever and it was really easy to read and study.

Cheers

Scubamoose

Great!! then i´ll might try it out.

Thanks!!

Jim Church's "Essential Guide to Composition - a simplified approach to taking better U/W pictures"

I'll second this recommendation. Others to consider are; Michael Aw's first book (his second seemed to lose the plot a bit) and those by Jack Drahfal.

Thank you for all your posts. This was the question I was hoping to ask. Off to search for a killer deal on the book so I can eventually justify a housing for my D700.

Cheers too all!

Sponsors

Advertisements