Sign in to follow this  
herbko

Channel Islands Photos

I spent 3 days last weekend in the Channel Islands on the Vision. We stayed out at San Clemente Island for all but the last couple of dives. Over all I was a little disappointed. The conditions weren't that great and I didn't really see many interesting critters. I only made 7 dives over the 2 1/2 days out there mostly because I couldn't get motivated to do multiple dives on most of the sites. I didn't even manage to fill a 1GB compact flash card with raw files, so I didn't even have to turn on the laptop I brought along.

Here are the most interesting ones of the bunch.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Very nice. #3 would make an excellent poster, I think. And the last one is just beautiful. Wish I could be in the water before November :unsure:

Over all I was a little disappointed.

For a disappointing dive, those are really really nice! Really.

don't be dissapointed beautifull pictures!

I loved all of them especially the last one!

do you really need a Gig of raw file to have some nice shoots? :unsure:

After I saw your images, I guess no ;).

I really like the second photograph, because of its composition. The

yellow thing (what is it actually?) and the snail (what type is it?) are framed

perfectly. You created a good contrast with the yellow color and the red snail

on the black background. And you even got some sunlight on the top through

the plants.

/lars

Thanks for the comments.

The yellow thing is Kelp, same as the plants in the background. The snail is a Norrisia norrisii commonly called a Kelp snail or Turban snail.

Great job Herb, considering the conditions the snail shots are really nice.

I agree with Lars and would like a poster of number #2 :unsure:

It's really arty...

Herb,

Very nice exposures and excellent composition

Karl

Those are some beautiful pictures.

One question: How warm was the water there? My wife and I have been thinking about diving the channel islands in August, but we're both cold water wimps.

You said the conditions were poor, but was it worth the cold?

norm

Those are some beautiful pictures.

One question:  How warm was the water there?  My wife and I have been thinking about diving the channel islands in August, but we're both cold water wimps.

You said the conditions were poor, but was it worth the cold?

norm

I didn't really mean to say the conditions were poor. Just that I had high expectations and they fell short. I think it was mostly just bad luck. The seas were churned up and the vis was not up to what I had remember on previous trips. We also had a strong surge on some of the dives.

The water temp varied between 51 and 60F.

I don't know what's normal in August.

One question: How warm was the water there? My wife and I have been thinking about diving the channel islands in August, but we're both cold water wimps.

Depends on northern channel isles (San Miguel, Santa Rosa/Cruz, Anacapa) or southern (Catalina, Santa Barbara, San Clemente).

Right now, southern are about 65, should be up to 67-or so by August, higher still in Sept-Oct. & mil would be great, you could do OK in 5 mil, but not for multi dives

We don't like warm water. Kills the kelp and the viz.

Chris

I love the second shot. You sound a little spoiled. Looks like you got some great shots for being unmotivated. You have seen some things that we on the east coast have not seen. Your lighting and compositon are exceptional!

Depends on northern channel isles (San Miguel, Santa Rosa/Cruz, Anacapa) or southern (Catalina, Santa Barbara, San Clemente).

Right now, southern are about 65, should be up to 67-or so by August, higher still in Sept-Oct. & mil would be great, you could do OK in 5 mil, but not for multi dives

We don't like warm water. Kills the kelp and the viz.

Chris

Well... It probably varies quite a bit from site to site. We got anywhere between 51 and 60 at San Clemente last weekend. The cold spot was at the West end. As far as I can tell the Kelp is very healthy, but the vis was killed by the surge.

I love the second shot. You sound a little spoiled. Looks like you got some great shots for being unmotivated. You have seen some things that we on the east coast have not seen. Your lighting and compositon are exceptional!

Thanks. The series of WA shots of that snail are my favorites also, and I'm real happy with them.

Going back and reading my original post, it does come off sounding like I'm whining a bit, but I was just discribing the conditions. I wasn't comparing them to the Solomon Islands, I thought it was much worst than the last time I came here a couple of years ago, and worst than my recent boat dives at Monterey.

Just bad luck that the Sea didn't cooperate the only time I get to come down here this year.

Usally this time of year conditions are very good at San Clemente. I thought you did an excellent job for the conditions. Conditions were bad at the Northern Islands as well. That is why on my trip last weekend we stayed at San Miguel Island.

The conditions (which are a plankton bloom) have one positive side in that we saw Blue Whales!

Good thing you weren't motivated for National Geographic only comes out 12 times a year and there are only so many front covers photos they'll accept. :(

Sir, you have done a superb job once again. Your compositions have artist written all over them and I'm starting to think you're cutting out masks of the creature to put over your strobes from the way your lighting them -- especially the nudibranchs. Needless to say, you're definitely on the top of my list of uw photographers who I admire. I've noticed you've developed your own style of photographs where the backgrounds (for the most part) are dark yet you still include the light from the sun in your photograph -- correctly exposed. On top of that, you're a close focus wideangle maniac!

In other words, Herb -- GREAT JOB! Keep it up and once you feel you've perfected it, you can go ahead an email me all your secrets. I'll be waiting. :)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements