Dixter

Anyone shooting with the Canon 5DMKII yet......

Just curious if anyone is shooting underwater with the Canon 5DMKII yet... Ike has the housing out...

or can someone point to a site that has pics/video from the camera to at least see how it looks...

Mr. Chijimatsu, President of Tail take a picture with Canon 5DMKII.

http://dive-tail.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/20...5d-mark-a5.html

Before long, Mr. Ochi, Japanese photographer will report the tour of esperance, West Australia with Canon 5DMKII and giyorome-lense with Canon 40D.

http://www.web-lue.com/blog/categorise/takaji-ochi/index.php

Yoko

I imagine you'll see some photos from Stephen Frink soon, he's recently gotten his housing...

I would expect them to be pretty close to the 1DSMKIII that Steve shoots now. Not that we can tell the difference between cameras most of the time anyway.

I've got about 15-20 minutes of pool test HD video footage from a few weeks back when Backscatter had a prototype Aquatica housing at Wallins Dive Center for the 5D MarkII.

Haven't had any time to edit the footage yet, but the initial view of the footage on my computer shows great promise for what the camera will be able to do underwater. Russ and Jim have probably taken it into the salt water by now, but I haven't heard anything as of yet.

Cheers,

Joel

Just curious if anyone is shooting underwater with the Canon 5DMKII yet... Ike has the housing out...

or can someone point to a site that has pics/video from the camera to at least see how it looks...

My clip on vimeo is the closest I have been able to get to putting the 5dmkii in a housing... While doesn't help with optics and housing handling, it does show how the camera handles things under the water.

For stills, image quality is the same as my 1dsmkiii, phenomenal.

My clip on vimeo is the closest I have been able to get to putting the 5dmkii in a housing... While doesn't help with optics and housing handling, it does show how the camera handles things under the water.

Thanks, Darren! It's hard to get my head around the idea of that video being shot by a still camera.................but I'm working on it! :D

In case you did not see this;

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...63&hl=5dmk2

He is using modified S&S 5d housing since last December.

Sam

Edited by shchae

For stills, image quality is the same as my 1dsmkiii, phenomenal.

Darren - I enjoyed your video clip, nicely edited in IMovie. Of course, I'm semi-intimidated by all things video, so I will no doubt be a little (maybe a lot) slow on the editing end of things.

However, as to the original question, is anyone shooting with the 5DMKII yet, Pete Zuccarini was here today picking up his Seacam for his 5DII. Here are some of Pete's movie credits, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0958323/, although you may already know his work from "Into the Blue". It will be interesting to see what he does with it, although I can't see him giving up his housed 35mm Panavision just yet :P

Darren - I enjoyed your video clip, nicely edited in IMovie. Of course, I'm semi-intimidated by all things video, so I will no doubt be a little (maybe a lot) slow on the editing end of things.

Thanks Stephen, that was my second attempt at editing video, the first attempt is also up there on Vimeo, called "First Clips". The workflow for First clips was literally take camera out of box, wrangle the kids, shoot some clips with instruction book in hand, open iMovie for the first time, learn to edit as I went, and bingo.

However, as to the original question, is anyone shooting with the 5DMKII yet, Pete Zuccarini was here today picking up his Seacam for his 5DII. Here are some of Pete's movie credits, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0958323/, although you may already know his work from "Into the Blue". It will be interesting to see what he does with it, although I can't see him giving up his housed 35mm Panavision just yet :P

I know, and know of, a lot of guys that usually shoot (terrestrial) 35mm film for TVCs here have purchased the 5dmkii just to check it out, and have been surprised by what they can get from it.

The camera is a bit of an enigma when it comes to video. Out of the box it has point and shoot uncontrollable auto exposure settings and only auto focuses prior to recording. At the same time it is easy to use, and difficult to control.

But I tell you, throw a Nikon or Zeiss lens with a manual aperture ring and ND filter on the front, use your manual focusing skills and handle it with purpose, and the results are amazing for such an inexpensive camera.

I expect the next one released will be a ripper.

I've just come back from a week in the Red Sea with the 5D Mark II in a modified Ikelite original 5D housing. It was really a family holiday, so I was mainly snorkelling on the local reef, but I managed to squeeze in a couple of dives :P .

It took a day or so in a workshop to modify the housing, and I now have access to all controls except the erase button and the top lcd backlight.

The camera and housing performed perfectly. For still not really much difference in use compared to the orginal 5D. The full 21 MP files look very nice and sharp. Here are a few examples:

109616946.jpg

109616960.jpg

109616949.jpg

The part I was most interested in was the video mode, as it promised to save me the extra weight of lugging out a video camera and housing as well, which I usually do. Anyway, the video worked pretty well, I thought. I've posted a rapidly edited set of clips on vimeo- bear in mind it's downconverted to 720p and the framerate is converted automatically to 24p, so the quality is not really up to the original, but it gives you an idea:

I'll post the link on the video forum too, with a bit more detail on the settings I used.

For still not really much difference in use compared to the orginal 5D.

Do you mean the operation is the same or the photo performance is the same? I'm considering upgrading from the 5D to the 5DmkII, is it worth it?

I just meant the operation is very similar. The difference in resolution is definitely noticeable. Nice and sharp at 100%, but i think to get the most out of the extra resolution you have to be that bit more careful to avoid camera shake and really nail the focus. I havn't tried making any really large prints yet, but it should be excellent for that.

I imagine you'll see some photos from Stephen Frink soon, he's recently gotten his housing...

Shot my Seacam 5DII housing yesterday on Aquarius Habitat, here in Key Largo.

post-630-1237050445.jpg

A few quick observations on housing + camera:

Set -up - New latches and integrated lens release are nice additions to new style housings (also on D3 version). Otherwise very similar to my other Seacam housings, except considerably smaller and lighter than MKII and MKIII housings I have been using. Also, the shutter release is different on the newest housings, and there is a "molded" region where the shutter release can travel, effectively creating a stop so it can't travel too far. This is good because we have replaced many a shutter release spring from people operating without camera in housing and simply pushing too far and stretching the spring beyond optimum.

In-water - Wrist fatigue is not an issue with this camera. I shot 2 dives with 5DII housing, most of the time hand-holding a Seaflash 150 in left hand and 5DII housing with superdome and PVL 57.5 in right hand. With 2 dives like that on my MKIII housing my right wrist would likely have been sore from upward torque of only one hand on housing (mounted strobes and 2 hands on grips are not an issue, but long periods of hand-holding housing with MKIII with superdome and long port extension is tiring). 5DII housing handles very nicely in water & I was surprised what a modest decrease in size of housing could make to overall comfort. Of course, camera is much lighter than MKIII too. So, as a package, it was very pleasant and easily manageable.

Native viewfinder discernibly smaller than MKIII, but not an issue when using S180 viewfinder, in either reading numbers or fine-focus on groundglass. As compared to the 5D, where the zones of AF are black, on 5DII they are red, and therefore very easy to see and navigate. Controls essentially similar to other Canon housings I've used over the years, aside from those relating to video.

Image Quality - Excellent, no surprise there.

post-630-1237050641.jpg

post-630-1237050666.jpg

Quick Evaluation - Already owning a 1DMKIII for the 10-frames per second, and a 1DsMKIII for the high res 21MP full frame, the 5DII leaves me conflicted about which to pack for a serious shoot. Which, says a lot about the 5DII and its ability to render very high quality files in a smaller package, easier for travel and in-water applications. If I didn't sometimes need the ultra-high speed motordrive sequencing of the 1DMKIII and the fact that I get a nice expansion of options by carrying 2 such different camera bodies that fit in the same housing, the 5DII could easily be my go-to system. I was certainly impressed with its abilities to shoot still images underwater.

Video - Observations deferred to a later date. I was diving with Pete Zuccarini, filmmaker for UW segments on many Hollywood movies, and he was shooting his own 5DII in Seacam housing. Since he was shooting video this day, I just shot stills and figured I'd hold off until I heard his thoughts on the matter and present them at a later time. More on that in a subsequent post.

Edited by StephenFrink

Sponsors

Advertisements