Sign in to follow this  
diver dave1

neoprene socks

I tried Cabelas 2 mm socks at Blue Heron Bridge and USVI over the past 2 weeks. I really like them.

It allowed me to use closed heel fins, which I prefer, in 72 degree water.

They are long enough to tuck under the wetsuit and keep the feet quite comfy, at least at 72F. I think they were as warm as a 3 mil wetsuit boot since they cover the entire leg at least 1/2 way to the knee. They also avoid water pumping into the boot as you fin along.

To get them on, all must be wet or all dry. A wet foot and dry sock did not go on but dunking the sock made it work. My foot is a 10.5 to 11. I bought the 11-13 size (L) and I could not use a smaller one.

And at $13, its not expensive to try it.

I tried a link below to the socks on their website.

Cabelas 2mm neoprene socks

Whoa, good tip Dave. I want to use the close foot style because, IMHO, they are lighter and more efficient (this is not intended at debate bait). My first pair of fins for SCUBA (circa 1975) was the Volt blue floaters. Decent fins, but I had to use layers of duck tape on my instep to reduce the pain. :P MTYWTK, I have a few hairs on the top of my foot, so removing the tape and the tape glue was stimulating also.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Those that tend to be cold more easily or dive in moderately cool water might find these nice to use. I am thinking I would use these for any wetsuit diving.

The stitching may not stand up to heavy use for long periods but I consider them socks that will wear out over time.

I also prefer closed heel fins and for the diving I do, I see no reason to ever need open heels again unless I have a dry suit on.

Based on how everything else goes, I probably need to buy a lifetime supply now. After I find a product I like, when I need a replacement, they are no longer produced.

Top tip for getting neoprene socks on (wet sock / dry foot or visa versa) is to either slip a thin plasic bag or wear a nylon sock on your foot first (this is also good for sliding into a wetsuit). Slip plastic bags over your hands too for sliding easily into the top half of your suit and pull them off once the suit is fitted.

Edited by Timmoranuk

Top tip for getting neoprene socks on (wet sock / dry foot or visa versa) is to either slip a thin plasic bag or wear a nylon sock on your foot first (this is also good for sliding into a wetsuit). Slip plastic bags over your hands too for sliding easily into the top half of your suit and pull them off once the suit is fitted.

Yeah a good tip. Might have a bit of a problem fishing the plastic bag out of you sock though. DD is right on about what you like gets discontinued. One should get a life time stash of these things. Mercifully, being of advanced years, my hoards are smaller.

Florida Freedivers (nearby in Lake Park, FL) and Austin's in Miami carry fin socks. Most Euro dive brands offer fins socks in several thicknesses (1-5mm) & sizes, some with grip soles, kevlar soles, etc.

All my web searches were for neoprene socks. Never thought to search for fin socks.

Thanks for the tip!

I scored a pair of 2 mm socks at Cabela's Saturday; $12.99. The only pair they had in my size. With that information, I can order more.

These are the best I've used so far by Esclapez Diving:

pr_socks_esclapez_camu.jpg

Edited by Wishbone

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements