Sign in to follow this  
Alexx

Time to let go 400D...

Canon 400D and consider buying something new! I`m in doubt buy 50D with 17-85 or 5D body only (not new model Mark II). Question is how much more the housing for 5D will be at disposal? I would go with sea&sea housing! I know that FF is much better no doubt about it but than also I need to change lens sell my old ones and buy new. I believe that with 50D I can also take great pictures. The difference in price is not too big, 50D with 17-85 is 890 euro and 5D body only is 1250 euro! So give me some advice please!

Thank you

Canon 400D and consider buying something new! I`m in doubt buy 50D with 17-85 or 5D body only (not new model Mark II). Question is how much more the housing for 5D will be at disposal? I would go with sea&sea housing! I know that FF is much better no doubt about it but than also I need to change lens sell my old ones and buy new. I believe that with 50D I can also take great pictures. The difference in price is not too big, 50D with 17-85 is 890 euro and 5D body only is 1250 euro! So give me some advice please!

Hi Alexx,

First off, let me say that I'm not a Canon shooter so I'm not too familiar with the various models. However I did a bit of research and here are my thoughts on the matter.

It appeared that you are comparing getting a 5D camera Body which is Full Frame with getting a less expensive camera which is DX along with the 17-85 lens. Based on Alex Mustard's results comparing DX sensors with FX sensors on Nikon cameras, where he concluded that the D300 (which is DX) s the better camera for underwater photographers, I would be very cautious before I bought the FX camera. You will, as you have said, have to change your lenses which factors into the decision. I can't say, though, how the results for Nikon cameras translates to Canon cameras as far as FX vs. DX goes. Maybe some others can chime in with their experiences.

It's hard to say how much more the 5D housing will be at disposal. If I'm understanding you correctly, I think your question is how much will you get for it when you sell it. You might want to check some of the places that sell these housings (maybe even ebay?) to see what the current market value is for them.

I am not familiar with the 17-85 lens but I would check out the Sigma 17-70 lens. It seems like it covers the same range and I've heard some very good things here on Wetpixel about the Sigma 17-70.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to post them here.

Ellen

I am not familiar with the 17-85 lens but I would check out the Sigma 17-70 lens. It seems like it covers the same range and I've heard some very good things here on Wetpixel about the Sigma 17-70.
I have both lenses, stick with the Sigma 17-70. I got the 17-85 when I got my 20D back in 2005. Ever since I got my Sigma 17-70 in 2006 the 17-85 has been sitting on the shelf gathering dust. Edited by Gudge

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements