Jump to content
kriptap

Subal Leak Alarm

Recommended Posts

I have searched the forum and read the info on the subal leak alarm staying on and not going off. Mine came on yesterday for no reason, no moisture no water in the housing but it came on and will not go off. I have tried everything, even dried the contacts with a hairdryer, even though it did not need it. Took the battery out, tried a new one. Nothing will stop it flashing. I suppose I will have to send it away, but now is not a good time for that, anyone have any more ideas? thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually letting it sit overnight without the battery solves the problem.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its been 30 hours now and I really need to use it but don't want to without the alarm, it saved me a couple of times. I'll just have to wait. thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey kriptap

 

This is not an unusual occurance and has happened to me a couple of times.

I always test the leak alarm by dampening my finger and touching the contacts before fitting the backplate.

Sometimes the alarm wont switch off, Ive been told that it's due to a residue of oil from my fingers.

A cotton bud dipped in an alchohol based lens cleaner and rubbed over the prongs works a treat for me.

 

Hope this helps.

 

Nige Wade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine did the same thing, actually, it's been doing the same thing for more than a year. I've just pulled the battery and have become very dilligent about maintainance. I'll get Ryan to replace it one of these days as I think the problem is crust built up inside the rubber boot around the sensors causing the circuit to complete. I tried using rubbing alcohol on a swab but it didnt't work for me.

Edited by randapex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It mat sound obvious, but try changing the battery! Mine was behaving similarily after a flood and was cured by simply drying it out with a sliica gel packet in the sealed housing overnight, and then a battery change.

 

Adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did try a new battery and it did not flood, there was no water in it, now nearly 30 hours and still it flashes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patrick ...

 

i have had to clean a few contacts especially strobes. qtip with white vinegar, then clean off with distilled water, then rubbing alcohol. and you already have your new battery.

 

It doesn't have to have got flooded i have had this problem with dust (which held moisture from the air on the contacts I am guessing)

 

Also it may not be obvious, but has any of it been banged out of shape just a tiny bit and is causing it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When mine did that it was water ingress at the rear two metal pickups - these are actually electronic 0.1" header strip, salts and stuff builds up at the back of the header and it does not take much muck to kick it off.

 

Couple of choices - remove the pins from bottom of housing pull off the heatshrink on the back and clean with alcohol - or cut the pins off completely and solder some more on - if you cut the pins off and it is still flashing - it wasn't the pins! and you have to take the circuit board out and clean that.

 

When I re built mine I used three pins and removed the centre one - still works the same but a lot more difficult to have the salts build up.

 

If you need some more cable and pins PM me, we have loads at work - can send you the bits you need to re-build most of it.

 

Paul C

Edited by PRC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure the contacts are not touching the housing thus closing the circuit.

To check, try sliding a thick paper between the contacts and the housing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Down in Grand Cayman and the same thing has happened to my housing. It's dry, have removed the battery will try cleaning the contacts although they look pretty good and they aren't touching the housing and are not bent. sigh.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Down in Grand Cayman and the same thing has happened to my housing. It's dry, have removed the battery will try cleaning the contacts although they look pretty good and they aren't touching the housing and are not bent. sigh.....

 

Has to be something to do with the Cayman Is then - thats is also where mine went wrong - it seems to be a black hole for Subal leak alarms :)

 

Sadly it is often not the bit you can see - you may need to rip the pins out of the housing and cut away the shrink sleeving on the back of the pins to get at where they were soldered. Then you can clean or replace as required.

 

The pins are hot glued to the Subal housing - not a big deal - short term mine went back with gaffer tape.

 

Paul C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I got mine to work for awhile at least for the first dive. I did the alcohol, swabbing, hair dryer, and packed it with moisture munchers for hours and the device would stop flashing. After one dive , on the second it started flashing. Again no leakage. I emailed Ryan at Reef Photo and he thinks the board probably has a short in it caused by an errant drop of water. I will send him the housing to have the board replaced. I dove the last two days without a battery, sigh..., but had no problems.

 

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My sisters Subal always did that. It was driving her crazy. She had to take the battery out many times and dive without it. She lost all her equipment in PNG this spring and in in a unsatisfying discussion with DEPP about it. It will be interesting if she goes with Subal again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sponsors

Advertisements



×
×
  • Create New...