Sign in to follow this  
scott_nielsen

If you were going back to Indo, where???

If you were going to go back to Indo, where would you go and why? Also, cost??? Scott

Hi Scott,

It depends what you want from your trip. Indonesia has some many different destinations with different types of diving, different levels of accommodation and different cultures.

Bali is always hard to resist. But for diving Raja Ampat is the best, but also remote and expensive.

Alex

for me it would be a week at lembeh then a couple around komodo, although if i had the money i would fit raja ampat into it somewhere.

lembeh is an amazing place and anyone that has been there i am sure would want to return. nice easy diving with loads of photography opportunities. main reason to go back there would be so i have an excuse to the wife for buying a new lens ( 100mm macro ) and also to go back to NAD to meet mike and simon.

i loved komodo, some of the sites we visited were so perfect in that i could see very minimal diver damage on the masses of corals. manta action there too was amazing if you dont mind extreme currents.

costs....loadsa money same as everywhere else. but worth every penny.

stew

Edited by stewsmith

If you were going to go back to Indo, where would you go and why? Also, cost??? Scott

Hi Scott,

My option #1 would probably be Bangka halfway between Bunaken and Lembeh. It combines both coral and critter dives, plus you still have the option that the dive operators also propose day trips to Lembeh. Personally, I find that Bangka coral dives like Sahaung or Batu Mandi are more diverse and spectacular than Bunaken walls... and I like the place better beachside.

Costs go to quite expensive -150$ pp per night but Gangga island resort may be worth it, btw I was there two weeks ago :aggressive: - to budget like Mimpi Indah bungalows on Bangka island or Murex resorts.

As for a # 2, I reckon Bali always spring to mind.

As I am traveling with wife and daughter, I can't do any Liveaboards, hence cannot say for Raja Ampat, Banda sea or Flores/komodo.

cheers

Luko

Edited by Luko

Hey, Scott!

Whatever you do, don't hop around from one resort to another. Don't waste time traveling, pick a desitnation, do two or three weeks and then go home. You and Troy are young and are going to have many opportunities to return to Indo - which you will want to do. As you know, we did two weeks at Lembeh Resort last year - it was a return trip and we loved the place. Of course, a lot depends on what you want to see, for "muck" you can't beat Lembeh Strait. Land based is much more afforable than live-aboards.

Best,

Jim

thanks guys, we have lots of ff miles so we can fly business to singapore but then we want to go somewhere that won't kill us dollar wise. I think a few days in Bali would be a given, lembeh sounds tempting. Of couse this trip would be for 2011 so who knows, have to see what happens in this crazy world. Thanks for the great info. Scott

Ambon has some great muck dives, although the water can be a bit nasty. Bali is very under rated for muck diving. Lots of critters not in Lembeh & some are much bigger. Check out Tulamben/Seraya & PJ's. Lembeh is still worth doing but its been over dove in recent years (more resorts & liveaboards).

Edited by jcclink

Hey Scott, I've been to the Manado area several times (Bunaken, Bangka, Lembeh), all around Bali, Wakatobi, Komodo, Lombok, and through the Banda Sea starting at Flores, up to Ambon and Bandanaira, then finishing in Sorong, Irian Jaya. Of course they are all great, but of all my trips, I liked the Banda Sea area the best and would go back in a heartbeat. Tons of diversity and all shooting opportunities from the most incredible muck diving to gorgeous, colorful wide angle. My favorite place along this entire route was a tiny island right in the middle of the Banda Sea called Gunung Api referred to as snake island because they have so many banded sea snakes. Of course you have to do it by live-aboard. We were on a Kararu boat, which was fantastic. Next year (04-Dec-10 to 18-Dec-10) I'll be on the MSY Damai for another Raja Ampat trip.

I just had an invite to go back to Wakatobi, but I'm passing on it. Although it was good...been there, done that. There are many other great places in Indo to see and most of them cost a lot less.

Regardless of where you go, you're going to love it and will take some of the most amazing pictures!

hey Scott

your getting lots of good advice here.

The fact that you are even mentioning money means you should probably do either Bali or Lembeh + Bunaken (manado), imho.

I would do 2 weeks in either Bali or Manado, but like Jim says, don't waste time doing both.

In bali you should stay at a few different locations and experience reef, muck, wrecks, etc. this can all be arranged for you.

In mando, I'd do 1 week lembeh, 1 week bunaken, unless you prefer 2 weeks of muck like some people, I need to mix it up. The transfer between bunaken and lembeh was only a couple of hours, and they kept my gear in a box.

scott

Lembeh is great for the little stuff and is not too hard on the wallet. Just got back from Raja Ampat and it is really incredible. Has everything to offer from mantas to pygmy seahorses. In fact we saw way more pygmy seahorses in Raja than Lembeh. If you are looking for variety, Raja has it all. No trip report yet but I do have the Raja gallery at our site for a sample of the variety.

I do have the Raja gallery at our site for a sample of the variety.

i love the first hairy squat lobster in your gallery, very cool.

stew

Next year (04-Dec-10 to 18-Dec-10) I'll be on the MSY Damai for another Raja Ampat trip.

Bonnie, is this trip going to be one of your workshops? If so, maybe I'll mark it on my calendar now :aggressive:

Ellen

Bonnie, is this trip going to be one of your workshops? If so, maybe I'll mark it on my calendar now :notworthy:

Ellen

Yes, but more of a one-on-one, hands-on workshop with only eight divers. On live-aboards its tough to schedule so many presentations like I do in Cozumel. Either way, I try to tailor them to the needs of the guests on board. This is a new boat, but the people running things are not at all new to Indo. Alberto and Olga used to work on the Kararu. I'm really looking forward to getting back to Raja Ampat!

The trips they are running on that boat are all geared toward the photographer. I'd love to have you join us, but if you're sick of me there are other photo trips with pros like Marty Snyderman & Mary Lynn Price, Beth & Shaun Tierney, Tanya Burnett & Kevin Palmer, Mike Veitch & Simon Buxton, Tim Rock & Simon Pridmore, Burt Jones & Maurine Shimlock, and Mark Strickland, but none of them are as much fun as me. :aggressive: I'm kidding of course!

I still need to do a write up for that trip, so I'll let you know when its ready.

NWDiver, your site is awesome along with the wonderful pictures. I also agree with our diving philosophy. Thanks for all of the advice. I think we will be resort bound and we enjoyed Wakatobi but think it's too expensive to go back. Bonnie, if we knew the economy would be normal, we'd book but right now it's just too hard for us to book anything that big. Thanks for all of the advice. I enjoy my trip dreaming and hope to be able to go back in 2011. OK, this June is Curacao.

I'd love to have you join us, but if you're sick of me there are other photo trips with pros like Marty Snyderman & Mary Lynn Price, Beth & Shaun Tierney, Tanya Burnett & Kevin Palmer, Mike Veitch & Simon Buxton, Tim Rock & Simon Pridmore, Burt Jones & Maurine Shimlock, and Mark Strickland, but none of them are as much fun as me. :P I'm kidding of course!

:notworthy::):)

Although I'm dying to meet Mike Veitch & Simon Buxton, based mostly on what I've read about them here on Wetpixel :aggressive: you are a proven entity and I just may schedule this trip with you. I think I've been on at least three trips with you and all of them have been tons of fun. What more can an uw photographer ask for? :P

Ellen

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements