Sign in to follow this  
rschrager

Winners of the BTS 2009 International Imaging Competition

Beneath The Sea is pleased to announce and congratulate the winners of the BTS 2009 International Imaging Competition.

The BTS International Imaging Competition is open to underwater photographers and videographers throughout the world. Beneath The Sea is a federally tax-exempt (501©(3)) organization incorporated as not-for-profit in the State of New York and all proceeds from the Imaging Competition go to further BTS’s goals to (1) provide continuing education to the recreational diver community, (2) educate the public in the benefits of protecting the ocean environment and (3) support ocean and environment related projects and charities. A special thanks to our 2009 contributors who are listed http://beneaththesea.org/BTS_Sponsors_2008.html

Best in Show, The David Doubilet Award for Excellence in Underwater Photography

Leafy Sea Dragon

Cal Mero

Victoria, Australia

General

1st: Sea Cucumber and the Anemone

George Vincent

Lewisville TX

2nd: Wreck of The Giannis D

Jim Garland

Merseyside UK

3rd: Trio and Wreck

Dany Weinberg

Eilat Israel

Marine Life

1st Lemon Snap

Pedro A Vieyra

London, United Kingdom

2nd Fish Ball

Burak Dedeler

Istanbul Turkey

Macro/Closeup

1st Pygmy Deluxe

Kim Yusuf

Munich, Germany

2nd Emperor Shrimp on Spanish Dancer

Goos van der Heide

GRONINGEN The Netherlands

3rd Blenny

Keri Wilk

Ontario Canada

HON In the Shadows

David Henshaw

Menorca, Spain

Underwater Behavoir

1st Free ride

Rand McMeins

Lynnwood, Washington

2nd Velociraptor

Marco Caqraceni

MIGLIANICO ITALY

3rd Whale shark & sardines

Matthew D. Potenski

Sayreville NJ

HON Territory fight

Dany Weinberg

Eilat Israel

Conservation

HON What we do

Umeed Mistry Bangalore, India

HON Sad encounter

Csaba Tokolyi

Budapest Hungary

Novice/Point & Shoot

1st Eye of the Tiger

Tobias Friedrich Wiesbaden Germany

2nd Green Turtle

Yan Ottesen

Rennaz Switzerland

HON Dolphins and snorkeler

Yan Ottesen

Rennaz Switzerland

HON Cuttlefish Face

Yan Ottesen

Rennaz Switzerland

HON Statia Scorpionfish

Holly Turczyn

Warren, NJ 07059

HON Chein Tong Guardian

Holly Turczyn

Warren, NJ 07059

Creative, The Jim Church Award for Excellence in Underwater Creative Imaging

Rajan at South Button

Umeed Mistry

Bangalore, India

HON: Open window

Ernst Seeling

Vienna Austria

Video, The Stan Waterman Award for Excellence in Underwater Videography

Attack of the Sea Slugs

Robert Williams

Newbury Park CA

2nd : It Takes Two

Sharon Wada

Snohomish WA

Video Snapshot

1st: Bali Squid

Walter Marti

Mission Viejo CA

2nd: Sea Lion Flyby

Robert Williams

Newbury Park CA

The winning images can be seen at www.BeneathTheSea.org/photo_contest_2009.html

The 32nd Annual Beneath The Sea Dive Exposition will take place March 27, 28 and 29, 2009 at the Meadowlands Exposition Center, Secaucus, New Jersey – 10 minutes from Manhattan. Further information can be found on Beneath The Sea's internet web site: http://www.BeneathTheSea.org

Bob Schrager

Thanks for the heads up Bob. Winners photos and videos can be seen here http://beneaththesea.org/photo_contest_2009.html

Congrats to all. Way to go Cal! and if you haven't seen it be sure to check out Robert Williams winning video. Outstanding work.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Steve Williams

Yes, congrats to all the winners...although it looks like the BTS winners page has some boo-boos such as wrong image with the right info? Hard to say exactly but I know that the same image of the blennies under the moon couldn't have won two years in a row could it????

I have to say that Rand McMeins' "Free Ride" image may be my favorite photo of the year. I'm glad to see it place so well.

Another one of my favorites is Keri Wilk's "Blenny". He must hypnotize those little guys or something to nail the kind of shots he does! :bye:

Edited by NCmermaid

I'd like to add my congrats to all the winners as well.

I'm humbled to have my photo place but also, happy that so many of my friends were there in Port Hardy where the picture was taken. Alex Mustard, Todd and John made this a special win. I'm glad that I was the only one shooting macro on that dive....lol!

Rand

Edited by randapex

Congratulations to everybody!!!

Rand, that is a one in a lifetime photo opportunity and yuo just nailed it!!! :bye:

Congrats to all ..

...although it looks like the BTS winners page has some boo-boos such as wrong image with the right info?

Missing listings also(?) - 3rd in Marine Life, 1st , 2nd or 3rd in Conservation, 3rd in Novice, 2nd or 3rd in Creative, 3rd in Video.

Congrats to everybody on the list!!! :bye:

Amazing material!!

Congrats to everyone.

Cal, way to go, that photo's doing well for you hey! Keep up the good work.

Ryan.

Well done all.

We saw Rand's shot on the boat immediately after the dive and all knew he had a true winner. So, we are going back again this year so the rest of us can get that shot too. LOL

Congrats to all

Todd

Thanks guys!

Congrats to the winners as well,

Rand's photo is simply stunning........... :bye::)

I was simply speechless when I found out I had won. I'm in a new town and don't know any other photographers here so I ducked down to the pub for a quiet celebration beer :-)

Now my fingers are crossed for the DEEP results! :)

Cheers

Cal

Edited by Cal

Cal, that seadragon is one of the animals I dream with. Great picture!

Now my fingers are crossed for the DEEP results! :bye:

Cheers

Cal

I thought the DEEP results were announced already. Anyway, it really is a spectacular shot and I'll see it in person in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it looks. It might even be on the cover of the program. I remember the year the jellyfish won, it was on the cover. If you want, I'll send it to you, unless BTS does that for you. Let me know.

I thought the DEEP results were announced already. Anyway, it really is a spectacular shot and I'll see it in person in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it looks. It might even be on the cover of the program. I remember the year the jellyfish won, it was on the cover. If you want, I'll send it to you, unless BTS does that for you. Let me know.

DEEP has not been announced and will be when the show happens usually (same weekend as BTS)

OWU was announced a couple of weeks back (both are with WP and DPG at underwatercompetition.com )

DEEP has not been announced and will be when the show happens usually (same weekend as BTS)

OWU was announced a couple of weeks back (both are with WP and DPG at underwatercompetition.com )

I see. Just the people whose images didn't place were notified. I wish BTS would do that too. That way one would know if the images were received.

I see. Just the people whose images didn't place were notified. I wish BTS would do that too. That way one would know if the images were received.

I send entries in via mail with confirmation/tracking to BTS, and other competitions, where mail is involved so to know it is postmarked before dealine date and delivered in time. Also usually send a check, so if the check clears you know :bye:

We're going to try to do that next year now that most of the images are uploaded and the entries are done via the internet. In the past, the problem has been sending a snail mail to each entrant was, quite frankly, an impracticable task.

Bob

Thanks all for the congrats and congrats to all other winners! Especially to Rand and Keri - very impressive pictures!

BTW - how do I find out what I've won? :bye:

Kim

Congrats Kim!!

The email I received from Beneath the Sea said certificates and prizes will me mailed out after the show is over. Guess we find out then.

Rand

Edited by randapex

Nakedwithoutacamera: If you could do that for me it would be fantastic!

hope the shows good as well :-)

Great shots everyone! Thanks for the comments Karen (NCMermaid) And Kim (kimoy). Congrats to all the winners...hopefully I'll see some of you in Jersey at BTS!? :(

Cal, killer shot my boy!....can't tell you how much I want to see one of those suckers! Hey, maybe you can not enter some comps to give the rest of us a chance? You're makin me :sick:

I'll see if I can twist Doubilet's arm for a few shots with winning images if I can snag him for a few minutes.

:bye::) Rand :):)

You know my thoughts on that jelly/shrimp shot, Rand....WOW

Good work everyone!!

Keri

Hey, maybe you can not enter some comps to give the rest of us a chance? You're makin me :bye:

Look whos is calling the kettle black there macro guru god :)

Hey, maybe you can not enter some comps to give the rest of us a chance? You're makin me :bye:

THAT FROM YOU!!!!! :)

Karen

You all are making me :)

I bow to all the winners. :bye:

Cal, I'll let you know about the program cover at the end of the month. I hope they use it.

Edited by Nakedwithoutcamera

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements