CamDiver

RED One housing field tests

Dean.... Dean....I thought you were the Amphibico man. :)

Have you got a housing for your EX1.3 yet?

"I go...Where the music takes me !!!!" :vava:

I am for the A1 Mr Wags... And nope haven't got he Ex1 wet yet... Was waiting on Mr Buxtons report on the Sealux but seeing how its not up to standard on the basics and their customer service is 'allegedly' not good i will be considering other options... But it will cost around £10,000 for what i want... Cheaper for me to hire a Z1 / Phenom combo for what i need on my next project... :P

Ex1.3..??? is that a new one...

Dive safe

DeanB

$50k was a lot cheaper this time last year as it would have come in under £25k - now it is looking to be over £35k! :( I think the Euro/$ has held up though, so it's probably just the £ where it is hurting.

Can't wait for the review Mark! Not that I'm in the market for one of course (had to add this bit in case Zoe comes on here and sees me plotting and then I'm in for a battering! haha)

Cheers, Simon

To be honest i think many are going to be dazzled by all the hysteria again... Is having a £40,000 piece of kit really what you need... I bought my Ex1 because i had the chance of some funding for some nice projects, but it fell through and now i've only used it 10 times at the most, hopefully that will change this year :) Once again you will NOT be the next Howard Hall just because you have RED ... We had this when the Z1's were coming out people nearly breaking the bank for it but i dont see a hundreds of Z1 owning U/W shooters getting their names on the big production credits just because they bought one... I was filming wildlife with a 'mobile phone' for the Nat Hist Unit the other week... Oh the Irony !!!... Theres a new buzz word...'Hire'... :vava:

But i suppose if you have the money for RED / SCARLET go for it you never know... If not Their make lovely paper weights... :P

Dive safe

DeanB

I was filming wildlife with a 'mobile phone' for the Nat Hist Unit the other week... Oh the Irony !!!

It aint what you got it's the way that you use it. Amen to that. :vava:

In reality though most broadcasters are still more than happy to use DV, let alone HDV which just seems to confuse them (that tape you sent me wont play). I did notice the other day that 'Yellowstone' had been shot at least partly on RED One's, so not sure if that was a first for the NHU or not. I'm not in the market for a Red One, but Scarlet does interest me. It's size is the main factor as in theory it will blow the socks off anything else in that range. I've got lots of hours used and more than my money's worth from my trusty (and now slightly battered) V1, but it is beginning to become too big to travel with. Eventually everything needs replacing, although hopefully I've got a couple more years from the V1 before I have to worry.

You do of course have some productions that will only accept the cream of the cream, but in percentage terms these are tiny compared to the overall broadcast market. It doesn't mean they don't exist though and if you are lucky enough to get on board with one of those productions or have another avenue to justify buying a top end camera then go for it

I bought my Ex1 because i had the chance of some funding for some nice projects, but it fell through and now i've only used it 10 times at the most

You've only used it 10 times because you're always pissed up the pub rather than sitting in a hedgerow somewhere ready to jump out on some mating squirrels! :P

Cheers, Simon

Ok, wheres the Red review...I can't wait!

If not Their make lovely paper weights... :vava:

No comment.

Sealux have actually been better recently, they only ignore 2/3 of my emails. Hopefully i'll have an email from them tomorrow and i can be happy again :P

This gates 5" monitor... how much and can i have one on my sealux?

As we all know, Mike does like to cross dress every now and then!!!

The Gates system with a RED depends on the setup, what lens you use, monitor or no monitor etc etc. Bog standard with a wide lens such as the RED 18-50mm with one battery a 320GB HDD, 5" External Monitor and an ND.9 on a sunny day will cost you north of $50k.

Bust open those piggy banks mate.

Cheers,

Mark.

Must be nice to be wealthy Mark. Then again, you earned it so just call this jealousy.;-) Glad all is well with you.

Steve

$50k was a lot cheaper this time last year as it would have come in under £25k - now it is looking to be over £35k! :vava: I think the Euro/$ has held up though, so it's probably just the £ where it is hurting.

$/Euro ... chart:

post-14536-1237402128.jpg

You've only used it 10 times because you're always pissed up the pub rather than sitting in a hedgerow somewhere ready to jump out on some mating squirrels! :(

Cheers, Simon

Your a little confused Simon... im usually slumped in a hedgerow, pissed, being mated by some squirrels... :vava::)

I can see a few peeps buying RED / SCARLET and having some fantastic footage of holiday makers doing try dives :P ... Or some weird freshwater fish swimming around a freezing freshwater quarry...

Dive safe

DeanB

No comment.

Sealux have actually been better recently, they only ignore 2/3 of my emails. Hopefully i'll have an email from them tomorrow and i can be happy again :)

This gates 5" monitor... how much and can i have one on my sealux?

Thats good news Simon... I think Marky might mean the RED 5.3" monitor wrapped in a custom Gates housing...

Dive safe

DeanB

Must be nice to be wealthy Mark. Then again, you earned it so just call this jealousy.;-) Glad all is well with you.

Steve

I read this last night and had to wait for the convulsions of laughter to subside to a state where I could type correctly!! Wealthy in experience mate, that's about all. As you know the big thing is having a strong partner, someone who backs up your ideas with moral support and understanding. I have that in my wife, Terri. She knows where I want to go with this and lets me work towards that. Giving up some of the luxuries that some people covet in order to progress is the way we do things. Almost out of the woods and on the way, with her support never waning. I consider myself to be very lucky in that regard.

Cheers,

Mark.

As you know the big thing is having a strong partner, someone who backs up your ideas with moral support and understanding. I have that in my wife, Terri. She knows where I want to go with this and lets me work towards that. Giving up some of the luxuries that some people covet in order to progress is the way we do things. Almost out of the woods and on the way, with her support never waning. I consider myself to be very lucky in that regard.

Cheers,

Mark.

That was f#*king beautiful... :vava: I freaking love you man...

Dive safe

DeanB

I read this last night and had to wait for the convulsions of laughter to subside to a state where I could type correctly!! Wealthy in experience mate, that's about all. As you know the big thing is having a strong partner, someone who backs up your ideas with moral support and understanding. I have that in my wife, Terri. She knows where I want to go with this and lets me work towards that. Giving up some of the luxuries that some people covet in order to progress is the way we do things. Almost out of the woods and on the way, with her support never waning. I consider myself to be very lucky in that regard.

Cheers,

Mark.

Well Mark,

that was a really great post -- I totally agree with you! :drink:

Best,

Jules

$/Euro ... chart:

post-14536-1237402128.jpg

you guys ain't got nothin' to complain about... :drink:

aud_usd_chart.png

50K well that's like $70,500 AUD.

Mmmmm all I have to do it get $1000 from 70.5 people...seems easy enough...

you guys ain't got nothin' to complain about... :drink:

aud_usd_chart.png

LOL yeah but that's Aussie $. It's not like it was REAL money anyway :D

Cheers, Simon

It aint what you got it's the way that you use it. Amen to that. :drink:

I did notice the other day that 'Yellowstone' had been shot at least partly on RED One's, so not sure if that was a first for the NHU or not.

Cheers, Simon

I just saw that as well Simon... Maybe they used footage from RED ??, i know Joe (one of the producers for that series) so i will ask him...

Dive safe

DeanB

Cheers,

Mark.

Hey Mark, That's exactly what I meant. ;-)

Steve

A link to a webpage with videoclips from the RED shootout in Palau will also be included in Mark's upcoming report....

Can't say more for now, or Mark will come back to Palau and feed me to the sharks.... :-)

Nick

A link to a webpage with videoclips from the RED shootout in Palau will also be included in Mark's upcoming report....

Can't say more for now, or Mark will come back to Palau and feed me to the sharks.... :-)

Nick

Hi All,

Just wanted to mention Nick here. Courtesy of his underwater imaging services at the Sams Dive Store in Palau will be the reason there are BTS images to share. You can imagine that when in the zone we get kinda focused on the issue at hand and block the world out. Nick allowed us to do that and kept his cameras rolling to share with you.

For more info on Nick and his work please check out his site.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by CamDiver

Hey Mark.

I just wanted to let everybody here know what a pleasure it has been to work with your team.

The shoot was a blast. Of course, at times it was so tempting to dump my Z1 and grab one of the REDs!

But, I had to stay in my own "zone", so you guys could stay in yours... :-)

Hope the report is coming out nicely. The page with the videoclips is ready to go.

Will be glad to let the cat out of the bag when you're ready...

Nick

Hey Mark.

I just wanted to let everybody here know what a pleasure it has been to work with your team.

The shoot was a blast. Of course, at times it was so tempting to dump my Z1 and grab one of the REDs!

But, I had to stay in my own "zone", so you guys could stay in yours... :-)

Hope the report is coming out nicely. The page with the videoclips is ready to go.

Will be glad to let the cat out of the bag when you're ready...

Nick

Slightly offtopic here, but who was your divemaster at Sams tours? When I was there a few years ago I had a great divemaster for some tech dives we were doing.

I cant remember his name but he loved to chew that nut that stains their teeth. He was tall, thin, dark hair, originally from the states.he was the only diver (besides sam) who was certed to tech dive.

Gbrandon, that would be Matt.

He is no longer there though.

Just an FYI

My part of the report has now been completed. It is in the hands of the second shooter who needs to add his opinions and we should be set to go.

Thanks for waiting,

Cheers,

Mark.

Ohh man I cant wait. Its been a long weekend shooting so I havent had the time to write up my thoughts yet....or even look at much of all footage we shot. Not sure how it was for you Mark, but shooting without lights in Green water in Cali...the Red low light performance certainly did not compare to the EX1's performance (we shot both cams simultaneously underwater)

Never really needed to go into low light scenarios without light. Night diving was done with a mix of Squid 250w HID's from Greenforce and also surface supplied, only ever heard good things with regards to the low light results in conjunction with ISO manipulation of the RED. I once saw a scene that had been lit with a single match at 1SO1000. Looked fine, side of someone's face.

This paper will not be going into the tech specs of the camera or housing. It is merely a reflection on the field handling of the housings we had at hand.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by CamDiver

Thanks Mark. Im spending some time playing with the footage in the editing software this week so Ill see how it goes.

Sponsors

Advertisements