Sign in to follow this  
njdiver60

Looking for Costa Rica recommendations

Folks;

I will be taking my almost 14 year old son to the pacific coast of Costa Rica in April to do some diving and I was looking for recommendations on dive sites. I also wanted help figuring out if this would be primarily a macro place, a wide-angle place or a mixed bag?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Charles

Hi Charles,

From what I've been told, the best diving is in the north out of Playa Ocatel. It's been a while since I was there, but the one time I dove there it was kinda cold (low-mid 70's), so-so vis. Did see a big school of cow-nosed rays, but missed the bull sharks. Some other big schools, lots of fish. Don't know where you're planning to be, but definitely check out the Arenal volcano, Monte Verde and Manuel Antonio if you can.

Great place for a kid that age - jungle, tons of wildlife, zip lines, lots of fun things to do.

Have a great trip!

Phil

We hung out in Playa Del Cocos which is really easy to get to from the airport in Liberia. The diving is the upper 70s lower 80s range. not the best for viz but we did see a Giant Manta and a few other pelagics. Although the high light for me was finding my first frog fish. A bit farther south is Tamarindo which might offer a bit more (surfing, turtle egg laying (will have just missed it), sea kayak into the estuary) but not as much scuba (though one can get to the Catalinas). The beach at Tamerindo is nicer and we did a great little snorkel out to a little island.

And as was said go in land as well. Although if you only have a week I would dive at Playa Del Cocos for 3 days then head down to Tamerindo for some or go inland for a few days. Renting a vehicle is easy - they will even bring it to you in Cocos from the airport in Liberia. Which is great cause then you can return it and fly out. Just get full insurance and watch out for the pot holes.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements