keidavies

First Macro Lens to buy?

First of all apologies if this has been asked many time before!

I have just got myself a canon EOS 450d. I am wanting to head down the macro route and wanted some advice about which lens to start saving for. In case it makes a difference I am going to be getting the ikelite housing as can't afford an ally one.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Kei

50mm Sigma gives you a pretty nice range - macro or normal.

100mm Canon is very nice....

What sort of diving would you be doing, especially what will the vis be like? 100 or 105mm -type lenses need good clean water to shoot through.

Also you might find something like the 50mm easier to manage generally if you are just starting out :P I started with a 60mm macro (Nikon tho) and it is still my favourite lens :vava:

hello - thanks for the replies. I'm going to be using it both in the UK and in blue water. Thanks for the tip about 100/105's thats worth knowing. (scratches those off the list)

Hi Kei,

The Canon 60mm macro lens is rock solid and super sharp. It works very well on the 450D too.

Have fun,

Steve

Another vote for the 60mm, great macro lens, especially when the water's a little dirty and you need to get CLOSE!

Agree, I like the focal length 60mm, good macro lens in close range, and a very nice portrait lens as well!

Agree, I like the focal length 60mm, good macro lens in close range, and a very nice portrait lens as well!

I"m using the Nikkor 105 macro with Nikon D-200 in Ikelite housing and Ikelite 125 Subsea Stobe and find it great for my diving in the Northeast (vis 5-20ft.). However, I'm been having trouble in that the LCD does not come on after I take a shot while in the housing. I push the review botton and nothing. But as I continue

along the LCD comes on by itself. Has anybody experience this? The comera works correctly outside the hosing.

This is now :) but I would lay money that a button or two is being pushed while the camera is in the housing.

Check for clearance.

Paul C

Sponsors

Advertisements