Sign in to follow this  
Noobie

Maui

Any body know any good spots to snorkel. Post pics, discription, vids, or as much information as you can!!!!

I leave in one week!!

If you are staying in Kaanapali (near Lahaina), I suggest Black Rock or Mala Boat Ramp. Black rock is located directly in front of the Sheraton Hotel. It's a cool little wall that traces around a small point. It starts in 5ft. and gets to about 25-30ft. I've seen lots of critters there, including cuttlefish and octopus. Its easy in and out, lots of snorkle buddies around you, plus there's a bar waiting for you when you surface (never a bad thing). Mala ramp is a pier that collapsed in a violent storm. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was hurricane Iniki). The structure of the pier creates an incredible reef. I see everything there. Plenty of sleeping whitetip sharks, all varieties of fish, and nudibranchs. If I had to recommend only one, I would do Mala. Getting in and out is a little tricky because the reef is located right next to a boat launch. There is a small, muddy beach to get in and then you have to kick across the boat channel (move quickly). Definately keep a dive flag with you. It's very easy to find and navigate as you only need to follow the peir out and back. It starts in about 10 feet of water and ends at around 35-40ft. There is a mooring at the end that dive boats visit, so be cautious. Other than that, a short drive to the north can get you to Honolua Bay, which is great in the summer, but the wintertime kinda stirs things up. It's a very protected bay, but it has a pretty good exposure to the north, so check the surf. Of coarse, if you want to pay for a boat ride, Molokini crater seldom dissapoints.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements