Sign in to follow this  
allen

Auto Focus Normal versus Macro

We often discuss the virtues of manual versus auto-focusing for composing an image. But what between auto-focus modes? For instance, we all know that when the auto-focus mode is set to macro the camera can focus closer than in the normal mode. But what about the opposite? Does one give up anything by shooting "normal" scenes while in macro mode? Does the auto-focus hunt more when when in marco mode because it trying to focus in on features in the foreground? Is the far focus harder to lock in on? This is something that I have not worried about or tested for - but about to and would be interested in other's experience.

We often discuss the virtues of manual versus auto-focusing for composing an image. But what between auto-focus modes? For instance, we all know that when the auto-focus mode is set to macro the camera can focus closer than in the normal mode. But what about the opposite? Does one give up anything by shooting "normal" scenes while in macro mode? Does the auto-focus hunt more when when in marco mode because it trying to focus in on features in the foreground? Is the far focus harder to lock in on? This is something that I have not worried about or tested for - but about to and would be interested in other's experience.

On lenses that have a "macro mode" (a really bad name that's just marketing juice), it has a rather long focus range and some of that range is "very close" to the lens. It's this close focus that the lens manufacturers use to sell the lens as "macro".

That all said, the switch is just a focus limiter. When you know you won't be focusing on things close to the lens, it's absolutely in your best interest to not to have the macro mode enabled. When it is enabled, the AF range is increased and this can certainly contribute to more hunting (as the lens goes through a much larger range while looking for something that's in sharp focus).

Personally, I think most people are way better off getting a (real/dedicated) macro lens if they want to shoot macro. At the very least, use MF if shooting on the sort of lenses that have a "macro mode".

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements