Sign in to follow this  
Mary Malloy

d300 playback options

I currently have a d200 in a nexus housing. I am getting one of Sam's conversion kits to put a d300 in the housing but as I haven't bought the d300 camera yet I am not familiar with its menu and controls. After looking at pictures of the back of the d300 camera I have noticed that the playback button has moved and it appears I won't have access to it once in the modified housing. Is there another way of reviewing images inside the housing without a playback control?

Also, I believe the d300 does not have the histogram overlaid over the image as one of the display options but can be accessed by pressing the centre of the multi selector, is this correct?

Thanks for any help

Mary

Using D300 in Nexus 300 housing. What you say about the histogram is correct. I believe that you also have to hold down the multi selector (MS) to display overlay. On occasion I've been able to press a top & side button for the MS simultaneously & get the histogram to pop up. But this is hard to coordinate, even topside. So no easy reliable way to get full size overlay like my D70 had. The normal histogram display mode on the LCD is too small for my aging eyes to see clearly without reading glasses. Not sure about accessing the playback button in a modified D200 housing.

Edited by jcclink

even without the playback button, you can easily access images by keeping the Image Review setting on, so by taking a picture, it pops up and you can then scroll through and look at the others.

even without the playback button, you can easily access images by keeping the Image Review setting on, so by taking a picture, it pops up and you can then scroll through and look at the others.

As Undertow says, you can keep Image Review on and display images without pressing the Playback button. Be aware that the D300 default setting is for images to be displayed only upon pressing the Playback button. By using the Display mode option in the Playback menu, however, you can set the option to display images automatically after every shot is taken. It seems like this option would solve your problem of not being able to use the Playback button to view your images.

I believe the d300 does not have the histogram overlaid over the image as one of the display options but can be accessed by pressing the centre of the multi selector, is this correct?

There are several options to display the histogram, including separate red, green and blue histograms and an overall brightness level histogram. But, you're correct, for the overlay histogram, you must use the Custom Setting Menu F1 and specify that the overlay histogram appears by pressing the center of the multi-selector button.

If you're able to get a copy of David Busch's book "Nikon D300 Guide to Digital SLR Photography", you can find a lot of this information in Chapter 2 Working With Shooting Data. All of the display screens are shown including all of the information that appears in each display screen, And, after you get the camera, this book wouldn't be bad to have on your bookshelf.

Ellen

Thankyou everyone, this was the exact info I was looking for.

I also asked Sam directly and he pointed out that the bracket control on the D200 housing becomes the playback button control once the d300 camera body is inside. I feel like a dill.

My eyes are also too old for the RGB histogram displays. That why I want the overlay histogram.

And while I'm at it, they should make the time display on mobile phone screens bigger.

Cheers

Mary

Edited by Mary Malloy

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements