Noobie

What is the procedure for packing undwater camer cases for trips?

what is the procedure for packing and underwater camera case for a trip to maui?

It might be helpful to know what camera/case/strobes you are packing and where you are leaving from.

It might be helpful to know what camera/case/strobes you are packing and where you are leaving from.
I have a WP-DC 16 ( aka case for the canon powershot A720)

You ought to be able to carry on that rig easily. I prefer hard cases in case they make you gate check, but I doubt it is necessary for your rig due to it's small size.

Best not to carry the camera in the housing.

The Canon OEM case comes in a bubble wrap bag when you buy it. I keep that bag and use it for protecting the case during travel. When I only had that case and the camera, I would wrap that bag with the housing in a tee shirt or something similar and pack it in a carry on roller bag. The camera is small enough to have its own case and fit in the carry on as well.

If you did not keep the bag, a tee shirt or small towel wrapped around the housing should protect it. Use a shirt/shorts/towel you were already planning to take and you do not have anything extra to carry.

If you have a strobe as well, I'd suggest a hard case too. I purchased the camera I use from my brother in law and he already had a pelican case with foam cutouts. It adds a decent amount of protection to all your gear and makes things easier by having a single place to store everything (minus the arm, i have to pack that with my dive gear).

It is a little unconventional, but lately I've been using clothes to pack my underwater gear. Usually t-shirts or hawaiian shirts. I would avoid underwear unless you just enjoy TSA folks holding up your drawers :drink: I've done this to conserve space when I'm travelling with dive gear. My Laptop, regs, computers, camera and housing all go with me on board inside a Lowepro Computer backpack and a Pelican 1510 (only hardcase I know of that is built to airline specs for carryon).

I have to agree with the carry-on. Wrap it in somehting cozy and treat it well. TSA has no appreciation for camera equipment.

TSA has no appreciation for camera equipment.

Especially lately. TSA does not even KNOW what camera gear is... at least at both Newark and LaGuardia airports. They took everything (even the lining) out of both my camera bag (dslr + lenses) and Portercase (containing housing/strobes/cords and assorted camera/housing accessories). They did an item by item cloth swab on each thing independently. The Supervisor was the one doing all this so there was no asking for supervisor to move things along. The entire process took ~25 minutes for them, and then I got the opportunity to repack it all back in. Nearly missed my flights, as they were boarding when I finally got through "security".

Back on topic. I use a hardsided Porter case. If I had a small camera housing as you have, it should fit fine in your carry on bag, including the strobe if you have one.

and does anyone have a recommendation on the best kind of insurance? I've heard DAN vs. insuring on a homeowners' policy. Any recommendations?

Edited by billball70

and does anyone have a recommendation on the best kind of insurance? I've heard DAN vs. insuring on a homeowners' policy. Any recommendations?

Hi,

Here's the insurance I've used in the past. They have paid promptly on two claims I had and I was very pleased. it's also easy to sign up online and coverage is immediate as soon as you've entered the necessary information.

H20 Insurance

Although I've heard others have been able to insure more inexpensively using their homeowner's insurance, I've always been reluctant to do so for fear they would cancel my homeowner's insurance.

I'm sure you'll get a variety of responses as to the best choice of insurance.

Ellen

we just bought a camera backpack took all the dividers out and our housing fits nicely inside and can also pack the strobe, charger, and 1 lens in the bag.

h2o insurance is good, that is who i am using and they have a lower deductable then my home owners and putting a flooded camera claim on your home owners does not seem like a good idea, we live in FL and they are looking for any excuse to drop

customers.

we just bought a camera backpack took all the dividers out and our housing fits nicely inside and can also pack the strobe, charger, and 1 lens in the bag.

h2o insurance is good, that is who i am using and they have a lower deductable then my home owners and putting a flooded camera claim on your home owners does not seem like a good idea, we live in FL and they are looking for any excuse to drop

customers.

i use h2o insurance too just had to replace the whole system with no problems

i use h2o insurance too just had to replace the whole system with no problems

Another satisfied h2oinsurance customer. They sometimes take a bit longer than I'd like to contact you and get the process started, but once going, they paid promptly and quickly on each of my flood claims and my one loss claim. Much better than the hassle DEPP is putting a friend through right now. And since they pay cash, you can just buy replacement gear immediately and start shooting again, and just wait for the reimbursement check as the process completes. With DEPP, you have to wait for them to completely finish the process (they're allowed 60 days to wrap up... and often take that long!) before they get around to buying your replacement gear for you.

The one downside to h2oinsurance is the relatively high deductible on flood insurance claims ($250), but on an expensive rig, that's not too bad. h2oinsurance is the provider than DAN uses for their gear insurance. It's actually provided by Senn, Marshall something-or-another, and underwritten by Fireman's Fund, once you get to the point of actually processing a claim.

Edited by CompuDude

Sponsors

Advertisements