synthetic

First trip out with Canon 5DmkII

We had a great day of diving on the Vision out to San Miguel, a rare 1-day trip with them. I got to try out my new Canon 5DmkII with Ikelite housing and Canon 100mm macro:

20090321_miguel_169.jpg

Dendronotus albus nudibranch

20090321_miguel_021.jpg

Decorator crab looking fearsome

20090321_miguel_011.jpg

Wolf eel

More shots here:

http://gallery.laityphoto.com/v/underwater...90320_sanmiguel

No, I didn't record any video. Still learning the setup, and my wife is much better at video anyway. :)

Very nice stuff, look likes the camera works for you :) You say the decorator crab looks fearsome, I think the wolf fish is as well :)

Tristan

great job Jeff, I can't wait to see your new rig on saturday.

Scott

Hey Jeff,

Love the wolf eel and the "Hermissenda Crassicornis on a rocky ledge" is a super shot. So what did you learn about the new rig? Did everything go as you expected?

Cheers,

Steve

Nice work - I LOVE the wolf eel - nice and sharp, and the nice orange negative space is unusual as well! Great job!

I, too, would be interested in "what you learned" about the 5DII...

Thanks, everyone. I'm very happy with the new system. I posted a quick review in the DSLR/Housings forum. Reposted here:

I did first dive with the Ikelite housing last weekend. It has both AF and AE lock buttons available but I didn't record any video, too much surge to attempt macro video for the first time. See the Showcase board for my still shots.

Upgrading from the Ikelite 5D housing to the 5DmkII housing, the most obvious change is the strobe port moving to the top left of the housing. This was an odd choice -- I would have put it top left or on top of the housing -- but I'm sure they considered that. In use, it wasn't in my way any more than strobe wires on any other housing I've used. The mkII housing seems better put together than my 5D housing was, certain small complaints I had with my old housing were addressed like knurling the camera screw mount and parts feel higher quality. I've always liked the way I can see the whole camera through the housing on Ikelite. I don't love the port mounting, the best system seems to be the bayonet on Subal housings. Still, for 1/3 the price I think it's a great housing system.

Let me know if you have any questions on the Ikelite housing.

I hope to try some wide-angle this weekend, here's hoping conditions cooperate.

I agree with the posts above - the eel is outstanding!!

Great job!!

Karel

Edited by Scubamoose

Wow Synthetic...I just love the nudi and the wolf eel shot! Great going for your first time using the new rig.

I shoot with a 5D, but not with the mkII. Color me green! :turtle: Please show us more when you can. Robyn

Jeff,

I really like your work!

My 5D II and 100 Macro arrive tomorrow. Still figuring out the housing, ports, strobes etc. Will probably go with Ikelite housing and 160's.

I'll be in Newport Beach over the Thanksgiving week this year, so would love some tips on S. Cal diving, never been.

Best,

Ransome

Edited by Ransome

Sponsors

Advertisements