Alex_Mustard

Norway Photo Workshop - wrecks and reefs

At the beginning of June I am teaming up with three Scandinavian photographers to run a underwater photography workshop at the Gulen Dive Resort in Norway. The reprobates in question are Christian Skauge, Ingvar Eliasson and Lars Stenholt Kirkegaard. I think they are all members here, although Chris is the most regular poster. I'll bug him to post some of his images from the destination.

It will be my first time in Norway, but the rest of the guys are all regular addicts to this destination, which is known as one of the best cold water diving destinations in the world. I am looking forward to seeing how it compares to my experiences in Vancouver Island, Canada. There seems to be a lot of similarities between the two.

The workshop will offer a mix of wreck (mainly German WWII) and marine life diving, with all the dives focused on photography. The group is limited to 20 and runs from the 2nd June to 7th June 2009 - with options to extend either before or after the workshop.

The cost is about 1000 Euros (depending on exchange rates). You can read the full details on this PDF.

Post below or PM/email if you want to know more.

Alex

At the beginning of June I am teaming up with three Scandinavian photographers to run a underwater photography workshop at the Gulen Dive Resort in Norway. The reprobates in question are Christian Skauge, Ingvar Eliasson and Lars Stenholt Kirkegaard. I think they are all members here, although Chris is the most regular poster. I'll bug him to post some of his images from the destination.

It will be my first time in Norway, but the rest of the guys are all regular addicts to this destination, which is known as one of the best cold water diving destinations in the world. I am looking forward to seeing how it compares to my experiences in Vancouver Island, Canada. There seems to be a lot of similarities between the two.

The workshop will offer a mix of wreck (mainly German WWII) and marine life diving, with all the dives focused on photography. The group is limited to 20 and runs from the 2nd June to 7th June 2009 - with options to extend either before or after the workshop.

The cost is about 1000 Euros (depending on exchange rates). You can read the full details on this PDF.

Post below or PM/email if you want to know more.

Alex

You should be deeply suspicious of anyone as tall as Lars!

Hi everyone,

we're all looking very much forward to finally getting you up here :)

The workshop is gonna be so much fun, and hopefully a great learning experience for all the participants, yours truly included. My part in this will mainly be macro photography, which is my passion and great interest. I have been diving in the Gulen area for several years, and know the house reef pretty well. I also know where most of the critters live :)

Like Alex promised, I'll be adding some images from Gulen over the next few days. To start off, I'd like to show you the wreck of the Frankenwald, a WWII wreck 127 meters in lenght, deck at about 27 -28 meters. She's a real treat and in excellent condition upright on the bottom.

0822-30012009-324-Frankenwald_500pix.jpg

Also, here are some macro samples just to let you all know what you might expect:

0585-08062007-33-Flabellina_pellucida_500pix.jpg

0513-26092006-244-Ebalia_tumefacta_500pix.jpg

0698-10042008-24-Flabellina_nobilis_500pix.jpg

For those impatient to see more images, please check out www.scubapixel.com, and search for 'gulen'. More images will follow in this thread as well.

/Chris

Edited by ScubaSapiens

The Aplysia that won the POTW last week was not taken at Gulen, but at a dive site quite close to where the workshop is to be held. There should be lots of them in June :-)

1237240467_medium.jpg

Thanks to everyone for voting for my image!

/Chris

Edited by ScubaSapiens

Hi everyone,

I just got back from our easter holiday at Gulen Dive Resort, and just have to share this image showing the visibility on the house reef this morning. We easily had 30+ meters viz! I can't promise the same thing the first week of June, but usually the conditions are good that time of the year.

0845-13042009-54-Visibility_500pix.jpg

The image was shot at about 30 meters depth, with the model at around 22 meters, some 15-20 meters away. Nikon D200, 10,5 mm fisheye, 1/20, f/2.8, ISO 100.

Hope to see you there!

/Chris

Edited by ScubaSapiens

More images from the easter trip can be found at www.scubapixel.com/gulen09

Got some nice, really small (and quite rare) nudibranchs and one wonderful fish portrait... :-)

/Chris

Edited by ScubaSapiens

Sponsors

Advertisements