Sign in to follow this  
danielstassen

White balance preferences

Hi guys,

So far I have been using auto white balance for macro shots. Does using another setting would improve pictures?

Cheers

Daniel

I started using a WhiBal card on my last trip to Grand Cayman.

I used a White Bal. card only with my Magic filters when I don't use any strobes, you need to balance about each 3ft of depth changes, in my macro shots (with flash) I commonly use FLASH as whitebalance preset and select a little more yellow/pink in the color adaptation. This because of the fact that my diffuser is on the strobe. (might be possible to resolve this with some LEE filters on the strobes).

If there are photographers in your shot I've found the grey on an Ikelite strobe to be a nice grey point.

So far I have been using auto white balance for macro shots. Does using another setting would improve pictures?

Do you shoot RAW or JPEGs?

If you are shooting RAW, you don't actually set the white balance until you create an image from the RAW sensor data ... so the in-camera setting isn't critical.

If you are shooting JPEG, you really need to get it right in the camera as it is difficult to push the WB around after the fact with a JPEG.

When shooting RAW, in my opinion, unless you KNOW what WB is correct, you are best served by "Auto" as that will give you one more option the choose from down the road.

When shooting JPEG and you really want to get the WB right in the camera, WhiteBal cards, sand patches, grey tanks, etc are all good things to use to set a balance. There are a few other threads on white balance if you do a a search you will definitely find some other discussions.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements