Sign in to follow this  
ktwse

Sea & Sea DX-2G

Well, it's up on Sea & Sea's site now, Backscatter has preorder prices for it and it will supposedly ship in a week or two...

According to most reviewers, the Ricoh GX200 is much improved in terms of speed and handling, with especially the RAW buffer making RAW a viable option. The screen is also better, and there's a number of other nice touches, while the excellent lens remains the same. About the only thing that hasn't improved is high ISO performance, due to a 12 MP sensor...

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_ricoh_gx200.php

Now, to me it seems that this camera and the YS-110a package is basically what everyone hoped the 1G would be when it was first announced... But I don't see much interest in it here, is nobody interested?

Yes I am very interested in 2G.... but

I bought into the 1G system when the Yen was favourably low more than a year ago (compared to my currency anyway)

This was my first UW camera, but I have tried out a couple of friends' compacts as well. I was sure I wanted a WA lens, i thought RAW sounded like a good Idea and a YS110 flash could be fun as I got if for "free" when buying the camera directly in Japan instead of here.

As it turns out,

1. I've never taken the WA lens off once on, and would never by another compact without that capability. (Why I would not consider the G10 which seems to be a really nice camera otherwise (I am normally a Canon follower))

2. I found the RAW possibilities much more useful than i thought I would, so I only use RAW now.

3. Proper Flash was a pleasant surprise and very fun to use and very useful.

Because of the RAW speed, 2G seems to be the camera I would have liked to buy last year. Now with 1G I have to be patient and accept loosing opportunities. The 1G's flash integration with YS110 is not good (although i seem to have got around the problem and get almost 100% hit rate now). This would also be a reason to step up to G2. Finally a bigger screen would have been excellent to be able to really see flaws while reviewing the results under water.

So there are compelling reasons to change. If the 1G housing would have fitted, I would have bought the GX200 on an instant. But now, having to change both housing and camera and given that I wont get much from my 1G set-up, I will patiently gather more experience and save up to an entry level SLR with a fish eye set-up instead.

Cheers

I too am very interested in the 2g.

The gx200 IQ seems very good at lower ISOs, and raw is fast enough - nice wide angle.

But the real doubt I have is the auto focus speed.

The gx100 had a SLR like phase detect AF gizmo, which is gone on the gx200.

Otherwise this seems to be the g10 killer.

Well, it's up on Sea & Sea's site now, Backscatter has preorder prices for it and it will supposedly ship in a week or two...

I see bakscatter has it for 1200 USD and G1 is 800 USD. Has anyone seen other prices in EU, Japan or Singapore for example. (Which are places where me or friends are travelling to shortly)

Does anyone have more info on the Sea and Sea DX-2G? Or can you point me to the discussion about it. Searches have left me frustrated!

Yes I am very interested in 2G.... but

The 1G's flash integration with YS110 is not good (although i seem to have got around the problem and get almost 100% hit rate now). This would also be a reason to step up to G2.

Cheers

hey Oskar, I'm curious about this - what do you think the issue is with the flash integration and how did you solve it? I would think fiber optics is pretty straight forward, (capturing the light from the internal flash), and I'm nut sure how changing a camera could make a difference, unless you thought there was a problem in the housing design somehow?

Scott

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements