Rajesh

Nexus housings

Hi, I'm planning to buy this housing but... I would like to have some feedback from users of this housing or similar from the same manufacturer.

Thanks in advance.

Carlos

I had the Nexus housing for my E-3 for several months but ended up going with the SeaTool housing when it came out. The Nexus is very nice and my 7 to 14 worked very well with the Athena 220 mm dome port on this housing. In the end I liked the SeaTool better for several reasons including the release for the pop-up flash and the ability to close same, the small size and the housing is ready to accept the Inon 45 or 180 degree view finder without having to refit the housing with a new plexi back. Fiber optics work very well with both housings. The gears for both housings are for the most part custom and will not work well with the existing Olympus gears.

Phil Rudin

I had the Nexus housing for my E-3 for several months but ended up going with the SeaTool housing when it came out. The Nexus is very nice and my 7 to 14 worked very well with the Athena 220 mm dome port on this housing. In the end I liked the SeaTool better for several reasons including the release for the pop-up flash and the ability to close same, the small size and the housing is ready to accept the Inon 45 or 180 degree view finder without having to refit the housing with a new plexi back. Fiber optics work very well with both housings. The gears for both housings are for the most part custom and will not work well with the existing Olympus gears.

Phil Rudin

Hi Phil, I was waiting to you... thanks a lot.

I'm not sure to the right choice. If you had the Nexus and now... the Seatool... it is important for me but... I would like to know what motivated the change.

How is the grip of the Seatool? I'm not sure that if I will use the internal flash... less dives with no battery change...

Actually, I get a complete dive day without open the housing. (4 boat trip dives)

What about ergonomics matters?

And... what do you think about the measures? How much important is the diference between them?

Aftersale services? I live in Spain... we don't have Nexus or Seatool services... I'm very comfortable with Ikelite at this point.

I will keep my loved Ikelite housing with me but... I prefer to buy the best option.

I bought some things from Ryan's shop but I'm not sure that if he have still Nexus.

A lot of questions but a lot of money also... I'm sorry.

Thanks for your attention.

Edited by Rajesh

Hi Carlos

I have the Nexus housing for the E-3. I am really happy with it, the ergonomics work well for me, I have realtively small hands and manage 4 diives a day no problem.

I use the internal flash and can usually get 3 dives out of it before changing batteries (around 60 shots per dive), I could probably manage 4 but was not willing to take a chance.

I fire my strobes as Phil does, via a fibre optic cable. The only downside to the housing is that if you need the internal flash you cannot raise it once you have closed the housing.

Unfortunately I cannot offer a conparison between the two as I have not seen the Seatool housing.

Please ask if you need any more info.

Hi Carlos,

I prefer the removable grips of the Nexus housing to the SeaTool single grip. I am now using the Inon duel grip arrangement and it is working well for me but still not as good as the Nexus grips. The down side to the Nexus was that I had to remove the left hand grip to shoot macro in vertical and be able to get a close to the bottom as I like.

Regarding battery power with the Olympus E-3 I shot in manual with my Athena ring flash and much of the time with my Inon Z-240's. I go into the LCD menu and set the pop-up flash power to 1/64th power which allows the pop-up flash to recycle faster than the Z-240 strobes and the camera battery will last all day, I have done over 450 images, (without live view) and had to change the strobe batteries way before the cameras battery.

I recommend the Athena 50 mm macro port and the Athena 170 mm or even better the superb Athena 220 mm dome ports.

Phil Rudin

http://www.sfups.org/Galleries/PhilRudin/index.html

Thanks a lot for both, I feel like :D

What about measures? How much important is the diference between them?

Phil, I'm sorry but don't understand about the ports. I would like to use the 7-14mm with sharp corners... you know.

I'm planning to buy the Olympus macro port to use with my 50mm and the EC14. The Athena will be to the wide angles, 7-14 and 8mm.

Why do you recommend the 170mm? Is enaught for the 7mm?

Carols,

My first choice for the 7 to 14 zoom would be the Athena 220 mm dome outstanding corners the 170 mm dome is about half the cost and is sharp compared to most domes for a lens that wide.

Regarding the 50 macro I would go for the Athena or Inon ports before the Olympus macro port.

Phil Rudin

I agree on the Athena port for the 50mm - it is threaded on the outside so you can add Inon close up lenses like the 165. Plus you can also attach a ring flash as well.

I'm sorry, when I said Olympus... I might say Athena... I would like to have de 67mm on the front.

About the dome... I'm thinking about the 220mm but so much money...

Thanks a lot for your advices.

To use the Zuiko 50mm you have three alternatives:

- Olympus PPO E03

- Athena OPF TMP50 PTE

- Inon MRS

The prices are very similar, but with the Athena and the Inon you can attach 67mm external lens and filters, plus with the Inon you have manual focus through the clever magnets system (MRS). And of course all of them have extension rings to use the x1.4 and x2.0

Here you can find the features of them:

http://www.dbuceo.com/catalogo/frontales/p...-opf-tmp50-pte/

http://www.dbuceo.com/catalogo/frontales/planos/inon-mrs/

http://www.dbuceo.com/catalogo/frontales/p...lympus-ppo-e03/

Edited by nachogil

To use the Zuiko 50mm you have three alternatives:

- Olympus PPO E03

- Athena OPF TMP50 PTE

- Inon MRS

The prices are very similar, but with the Athena and the Inon you can attach 67mm external lens and filters, plus with the Inon you have manual focus through the clever magnets system (MRS). And of course all of them have extension rings to use the x1.4 and x2.0

Here you can find the features of them:

http://www.dbuceo.com/catalogo/frontales/p...-opf-tmp50-pte/

http://www.dbuceo.com/catalogo/frontales/planos/inon-mrs/

http://www.dbuceo.com/catalogo/frontales/p...lympus-ppo-e03/

Ok... Inon port...

:D

Hi Carlos,

If finally you buy the Inon MRS, please remember that you must save separate the two magnets rings (internal and external), if them stay for too long near the interaction between magnets can ruin them.

Tony Wu spoke about this problem in his blog some time ago:

http://www.tonywublog.com/20071128/inon-port-problem.html

Hey Carlos,

If you go for the Inon macro port you may want to buy the port without the magnetic rings to start. You can still use the 67 mm close-up lenses and I find that with the 1.4 tele converter I rarely use manual focus. In fact even with the 2 X tele I use AF 99.9% of the time. I have used the Inon port with the magnetic ring and it lacks the ability to make very fine adjustments. I used it most to be sure the lens was racked out as far as it would go for max. magnification. I find however that it is very easy to get the AF to do the same thing. Since testing the Inon macro port I have always thought it to be the best value between the three ports and the magnetic rings can be add later if you find you can't deal with AF.

The big upside to the Athena macro port is the ring (an Athena option around $170.00 in the US) that can be added to mount a focus light, strobes, ring flash sending unit, floatation, etc. This is not a huge issue with the Nexus and SeaTool housings for the E-3 because they have extra mounting points.

Regarding your question about port selection for W/A in the other thread I have the Athena 170 and 220 mm dome ports and the 170 port works well with the 9 to 18 and very well with the 8 mm fisheye. If you want the very best for your ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) lenses you can't beat the extra size of the 220 mm dome. At times the 200 mm dome is a bit large and heavy for travel if you don't intend to do much W/A. The 170 mm dome also works very well with the 12 to 60, 14 to 54 and 11 to 22 with the proper extension and gears.

Phil Rudin

Hey Carlos,

If you go for the Inon macro port you may want to buy the port without the magnetic rings to start. You can still use the 67 mm close-up lenses and I find that with the 1.4 tele converter I rarely use manual focus. In fact even with the 2 X tele I use AF 99.9% of the time. I have used the Inon port with the magnetic ring and it lacks the ability to make very fine adjustments. I used it most to be sure the lens was racked out as far as it would go for max. magnification. I find however that it is very easy to get the AF to do the same thing. Since testing the Inon macro port I have always thought it to be the best value between the three ports and the magnetic rings can be add later if you find you can't deal with AF.

The big upside to the Athena macro port is the ring (an Athena option around $170.00 in the US) that can be added to mount a focus light, strobes, ring flash sending unit, floatation, etc. This is not a huge issue with the Nexus and SeaTool housings for the E-3 because they have extra mounting points.

Regarding your question about port selection for W/A in the other thread I have the Athena 170 and 220 mm dome ports and the 170 port works well with the 9 to 18 and very well with the 8 mm fisheye. If you want the very best for your ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) lenses you can't beat the extra size of the 220 mm dome. At times the 200 mm dome is a bit large and heavy for travel if you don't intend to do much W/A. The 170 mm dome also works very well with the 12 to 60, 14 to 54 and 11 to 22 with the proper extension and gears.

Phil Rudin

Thank you Phil, I need your help and your feedback and... I have it. :-)

I never used the MF and I think that the magentic focus ring could be wait...

But... Are you meaning that the Athena port could be better?

I would like to see photos taken using the 7-14mm and the 170mm dome port but... I can't find it.

Have you some one?

I know that the 220mm is so big and heavy... I'm affraid about this.

Sponsors

Advertisements