NWDiver

MV Febrian vs. Peter Hughes Star Dancer??

Decided to book PNG. So going back and forth between the Febrina and the Star Dancer. Both in Oct/Nov seem to hit the same spots. Any opinions we want to book ASAP.

Thanks.

Unless something has changed recently, it shouldn't really matter as both boats are run be the same operator (Max and Cecile from Walindi). The only real difference are the sizes of the boats. I was on the Star Dancer in Dec. '07, and was very happy with it.

So my only piece of advice would be, if you decide to go with Star Dancer, book it direct through Walindi. See my pre-trip report here regarding Peter Hughes vs. direct booking.

Unless something has changed recently, it shouldn't really matter as both boats are run be the same operator (Max and Cecile from Walindi). The only real difference are the sizes of the boats. I was on the Star Dancer in Dec. '07, and was very happy with it.

So my only piece of advice would be, if you decide to go with Star Dancer, book it direct through Walindi. See my pre-trip report here regarding Peter Hughes vs. direct booking.

I think Star Dancer was just sold. I don't know if that means the operation will change or not. If you can wait until summer, I'll try to post a trip report. We're booked on Star Dancer in July.

Thanks for the info. Thought it was pretty much a toss up. 14 divers vs. 18; bigger boat and maybe little more comfortable rooms. Sorry can't wait till July we are booking for October plus the better half is looking forward to it so best to book now.

Thanks for the info. Thought it was pretty much a toss up. 14 divers vs. 18; bigger boat and maybe little more comfortable rooms. Sorry can't wait till July we are booking for October plus the better half is looking forward to it so best to book now.

FWIW, we decided on Star Dancer. Reports from the last year were that both boats seemed a bit run down, but Star Dancer went into dry dock for refurbishment in January so should now be in good shape. Also, Star Dancer is supposed to be considerably more roomy. On the other hand, Febrina is supposed to be more stable if you're prone to seasickness. Allison, who posts on this board and goes to PNG every year likes both boats but I think prefers Febrina.

One other note, there is currently a $500 pp discount for Star Dancer trips.

Edited by reubencahn

Hi Martin

The Febrina is a great boat, and it’s captain, Alan Raabe, is a really colourful character. The crew are top class and expert critter spotters –used to looking after us demanding photographer types. The food is also great.

Which itinery are you doing? – I did the Witu’s/Father Islands tour and thought the diving was absolutely fantastic. I’d also recommend that you spend a few days diving out of Walindi Resort before your trip to wet your appetite – even diving from the day boats is superb.

Star Dancer is a more roomy boat, but as already mentioned, Febrina is more stable in the water. And whilst Febrina doesn't offer the luxury of a brand new Sunseeker yacht, the accomodation is perfectly adequate. To me, if the boat can do it's job, it's the Captain and the crew that will make the difference, and on this boat they certainly do. That said I've never done a tour on the Dancer so can't make a direct comparison.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the info. I know anywhere can get rough but are there some tough crossing? We are also looking at the Witu/Father Island route in the first part of October. Seeing as we always try to get in 5 dives boat "comfort" is not a Big issue as long as everything is functional.

I think it can get a bit blowy at that time of year. I was out there late September and we stayed in the volcano crater at Witu for a few days as it was too rough to get out to Lama shoals. That wasn’t a problem though, the diving was great in there. The seas were not especially rough for the most part of the trip, but they weren’t flat calm either.

cheers

Hi Martin and Julie... My girlfriend and I are going to be aboard the Febrina on the October 2nd - 12th trip. Look forward to meeting and diving with you if that ends up being the trip that you choose! Not sure who you are dealing with for your trip... but Cheryll Miller at Walindi Plantation Dive Cruises has been amazing to work with! Cheers!

Dale

Due to discounts we went with Peter Hughes. $2000 off per diver since we booked two trips in 09 and free nitrox $400 savings so total saving $4400. Too good to pass up.

Sweet deal Martin, hope you and Julie have a great trip! Looking forward to your photos...

Mike

I've spent time on both boats and have had great diving. I just returned from a month aboard the FeBrina diving the south shore of New Britain Island. While in Rabaul, I had dinner with Peter Hughes and talked about his current work with the 'Dancer. While he does not own the 'Dancer, he is still managing her. She was in drydock getting major refitting and interior work. I would guess she will look really nice.

I hope you get to the Witus. It has great muck diving at Dickie's place and inside the crater. Hopefully, Dickie Doyle will be home. He spent 10 days with us on our trip last month, so don't know if he will be back on Garove Island. If he is, tell him the Finches say HI!!

The Fathers is a great area...one of my favorites. Have a good time!

My better halve and myself we are scheduled on Star Dancer 18 october trip. After we will spend 4 days in Walindi, then Loloata

Anyone from Wetpixel going there at the same time?

Bart

Not going in October but did Walindi, FeBrina, Loloata in July, and it was great. Surprisingly to me, Loloata provided the best photo ops. Rhinoipias and pygmies galore at "the Pumpkin Patch"!

Sponsors

Advertisements