Mucksavage

Gear Strange Behaviour

Hi All

I have a strange mystery with my gear and am looking for advice and help. I have a Canon 40D and Ikelite Housing and have just shot 5000 pics with a Sigma lens. No story there.

I have just switched lens and port to a Canon 100m Macro lens and Ikelite flat port. I took it for its first dive - all fine on entry but as I got lower I could not autofocus or take a picture. In fact I could not review shots or get any camera buttons to function. After messing around I found that ALL the Automatic settings work - Sport, Portrait etc and give me full auto camera functions. However as soon as I switch to P, TV, AV or M - nothing.

I took it for a second dive - same thing but this time I realised that at 6m I can shoot on Manual, change ISO, review shots etc. At 6.5 metres and below I cannot. Only Auto settings.

I took the camera out, and gave it a gentle shake and possible something is loose under the mode dial - however when I flick the built in flash the little rattle is gone so it may be just the way its made.

Has anyone any advice, insight or explanations for this? Its bizarre that all manual modes are gone, not some, and all autos work, not some if there was a bit of debris under the dial. Its also strange how precisely the problem kicks in at 6.5m

Yours frustratingly

MS

Check the buttons on the housing.

Sometimes, a spring may be loose, causing a button to buckle under pressure.

The result might be a depressed function button that ends up jamming up the normal workings of the camera housed within.

Some of the buttons on Ikelite housing are just not pushed out by springs, because they are pushed and turned freely to push different camera buttons. These buttons are sucked into the house by the relatively low pressure inside the housing when compared to outside pressure at certain depths. When they go into the housing the may push any button they find in their way.

If this is the problem you are having, and to avoid it, just turn and push the button so that it doesn't touch anything on the camera when sucked in the housing.

Hope it helps.

Sponsors

Advertisements