Sign in to follow this  
danielstassen

Full frame camera

Hi there,

I'd like to update to a full frame camera, and would welcome any useful comments on camera body that would not exceed 4000 US dollars.

I read that canon's full frame camera are limited in their number of lens, I wonder if the 100 mm macro lens can be used with them ?

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by danielstassen

I used the Canon 100mm Macro with my 5D. I've also used it with a 1Ds Mark III. You should have no issues with a 100mm on a 5D II.

I second that. For underwater photography, the best camera in your price range is the 5DmkII.

Cheers,

James

Cheers guys.

Now I only need to save some money, or maybe wait until there are some good second hand opportunities...

Daniel

Now I only need to save some money, or maybe wait until there are some good second hand opportunities...

Given how new the 5D2 is, I'm thinking there's going to be a long wait for 2nd hand bodies becoming available.

As for "less options" on full frame cameras, the main issue here is that full frame bodies only accept Canon EF lenses. The crop bodies also accept EF-S lenses. The number of EF-S lenses are still rather small and the only thing that you'd really miss out on is the Tokina 10-17 FE which is built specifically for crop sensors. While the Tok is a workhorse of UWA, there's still a number of options available to you that should make the loss an easy one to bear.

It's not as nice as the Mark II but you can get the original 5D and housing at a good price, if your looking for second-hand.

My favorite shots from my last trip were 5D and the 100mm macro

Mind if I ask why?

Although far from impressed when the DX came out, I think the cropped sensor is one of the best things for UWPhoto.

Better WAs, better macro, smaller package, cheaper...

Although far from impressed when the DX came out, I think the cropped sensor is one of the best things for UWPhoto.

Better WAs, better macro, smaller package, cheaper...

I tend to agree. I think that there are going to be quite a few people this year switching to full frame - who find that their photography goes backwards as a result. Its only small things - but APS-C cameras are definitely a bit easier to use. Its amazing how the small increase in depth of field is enough to make the difference between saving shots and leaving you frustrated with the lack of depth of field.

Doesn't stop us all wanting full frame, myself included.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements