craig

Wetpixel Ultimate Indonesia

I was on the second of back-to-back 2 weeks trips in Indonesia. I've uploaded a preliminary gallery from a Bali hotel room. Here it is: Muffy's Ultimate Indonesia

While you were doing that, we were having lunch and were wondering if you were on your computer doing just that! :)

I paid for 24 hours of internet so I used it :)

Absolutely amazing pictures.

Cam´t wait to get to Lembeh and Raja Ampat in October/November.

Cheers

Markus

Hey, Muffy. Nice shots!

This is my favorite from the trip. I think it's perfectly suitable for most dive magazines out there. Make me an offer!

echeng090327_0220624.jpg

Very nice, Eric.

Hope that those aren't colourful diveskins or oval masks - your not allowed them any more!

Alex

I was on the second of back-to-back 2 weeks trips in Indonesia. I've uploaded a preliminary gallery from a Bali hotel room. Here it is: Muffy's Ultimate Indonesia

That was one of the best collections I´ve ever seen! Really great and inspirational pictures. I especially like the sea snakes, with the inquisitive Laticauda as a favorite. Did you see the snakes in Lembeh or further out?

/Bent C

Edited by Bent C

I was only on the last two weeks of a trip that was 4 or even 5 weeks for some of the divers. I did not visit Lembeh on this trip but others did. The snakes were found at Gunung Api island.

Those are some absolutely stunning, sharp and beautiful images craig. Thanks for sharing :)

Cheers,

Diggy

Quite spectacular Craig!

The seasnake swimming composition is very nice - maybe you can enter it in a competition. :)

Thanks Oh master of macro and lighting. Not bad composition either. :)

( :) On another note, welcome back, I kept calling Drew Craig, particularly when needing highly technical explanations)

Edited by loftus

now this is one cool shot! 2 snakes! just bummed i couldn't be there... mind you i would have been made fun of by that group for my camera :)

508714074_Xecmy-M.jpg

Loved the Gallery, great selection and photos!

Eric the photo is beautiful!

Hi Craig,

I don't know where to start, there is so much to say and think about. . . .

The web-title pretty well says it all, and whoever taught you to take a picture needs to take a bow.

I think that the best compliment that I can give to your images is that they seem to be taken above ground; no water, no blemishes, just perfect.

I certainly have not seen any film perform like that!

The detail is so extreme, ( can you have extreme detail?) that I find myself looking away from the main subject and inspecting every little detail of the image.

All the little specs of sand sparkle like everything has been sprinkled with tinsel paper.

Have we come too far? Is their such a thing as too much detail?

I'm mesmerised. . . . :)

Craig, what lenses were you using for the macro shots?

I see a lot of difference in the DOF between images. . . .

Thank-you, I enjoyed being here.

Bruce...

Hey, Muffy. Nice shots!

This is my favorite from the trip. I think it's perfectly suitable for most dive magazines out there. Make me an offer!

echeng090327_0220624.jpg

Model has bad form.. must be Abbott.. :)

Craig, what lenses were you using for the macro shots?

I see a lot of difference in the DOF between images. . . .

All macro shots with the exception of two or three were with the 70-180. I used the Sigma 150 for a couple dives to test (once with a 500D, once with a Hoya +3). No internal diopter was used with the 70-180. Quite a few of these used a wet diopter. I had an Inon 330 and 165. I also tried Marumi 77mm diopters and they worked well.

The snake shots used a Sigma 18-50 macro with a dome and the wides were the 10-17.

Of course, these images were cleaned. I had to do something with my spare time!

The camera I used was an astro-modified D300 with the AA filter and hot mirror removed. The sunball shots have nearly even balance between red, green, and blue channels and little of the cyan rings. I added a two stop ND filter to the 10-17 to allow me to shoot sunballs effectively in the f8 - f11 range. Some of my sunballs didn't blow out at all.

There is a shot of a green moray included in the gallery that was shot with the 10-17 (the only lens I used without an IR-block filter). It's the only example I saw with potentially unusual color with the side of the eel being quite red. It was visibly red anyway but I thought there might be some infrared effect on that shot. I saw nothing unusual otherwise. My strobes had some IR filtration on them.

Hey, Muffy. Nice shots!

echeng090327_0220624.jpg

Isn't that photoshopped (e.g. the divers on the right and the light beam) or am i missing something?

(edit: i guess it was kind of obvious...)

Edited by jonhanson

Isn't that photoshopped (e.g. the divers on the right and the light beam) or am i missing something?

I think the clone stamp button jammed! :)

(edit: i guess it was kind of obvious...)

hehehe....

Brits aren't supposed to fall for sarcasm from Yanks :)

Nice stuff, sure wish I could have made one of those trips. I saw somewhere Cor did 133 dives in the 40 days. :)

Cheers

Todd

Great stuff Mr. McClure! Typical style - one page of WA and 5 of macro :-)

Cheers

James

Absolutely fantastic!

I got the wet-diopter part, but not sure what "astro-modified with the AA filter and hot mirror removed" means, nor did I follow all the filters stuff - perhaps you can unpack that for me?

Whatever it all is, the pics are awesome!!

Phil

WOW. Amazing images!

It makes me want to go back and reprocess all my photos!

I didnt follow the filters or the IR bit either Craig. And is the 70-180 a sigma lens too?

Sponsors

Advertisements