Sign in to follow this  
Paulo Dourado

Need cheap, cheap housing for Nikon D80

I need a cheap, reliable housing for a Nikon d80. I don't plan to go shoot any sharks anytime soon but I have an underwater fashion shoot coming up in a pool. About 6 feet deep, the camera will be about 3 feet deep. I'll be using a prime lens (50mm f/1.8) and everything will be lit with strobes above the water. What's the cheapest, housing/bag (doesn't matter [as long as it works[) I could get in the United States. for around $100 ish...

Edited by Paulo Dourado

I need a cheap, reliable housing for a Nikon d80. I don't plan to go shoot any sharks anytime soon but I have an underwater fashion shoot coming up in a pool. About 6 feet deep, the camera will be about 3 feet deep. I'll be using a prime lens (50mm f/1.8) and everything will be lit with strobes above the water. What's the cheapest, housing/bag (doesn't matter [as long as it works[) I could get in the United States. for around $100 ish...

BUMP

Try woolworths - they have some oven bags that are pretty strong,

I'll be using a prime lens (50mm f/1.8) and everything will be lit with strobes above the water. What's the cheapest, housing/bag (doesn't matter [as long as it works[) I could get in the United States. for around $100 ish...

Not sure what the budget is for the shoot, but you may want to see if you can get a rental for a day or two. A good port/housing could be worth having...

You might look at EWA Marine bags but I'd have to agree with the above and say rental might be your best option. Try calling Reef Photo...www.reefphoto.com and discuss what you're doing with them. 50mm also sounds like the wrong lens to use in a pool for models ....

You might look at EWA Marine bags but I'd have to agree with the above and say rental might be your best option. Try calling Reef Photo...www.reefphoto.com and discuss what you're doing with them. 50mm also sounds like the wrong lens to use in a pool for models ....

thank you, why wouldn't a 50 work?

thank you, why wouldn't a 50 work?

BUMP

I think I'll just be renting a housing a port from PPR. Just curious I've done a fair amount of research but can't seem to find why a 50mm lens wouldn't be good underwater. Anyone got tutorials or anything on underwater portraiture?

I think I'll just be renting a housing a port from PPR. Just curious I've done a fair amount of research but can't seem to find why a 50mm lens wouldn't be good underwater. Anyone got tutorials or anything on underwater portraiture?

The first rule of underwater photography is to get as close as you can. The second rule is to then get closer.

This typically lends itself to requiring rather wide lenses to capture the entire subject in the frame. There's also considerations of minimum focus distance due to the nature of optics underwater and a lens behind a (likely dome) port. Regardless of what lens you end up shooting with, you might need a close-up filter (diopter).

Do you happen to know what type of shots you'll be planning? Head shots, full body, action shots, etc.? Do you know what you're going to need for lighting - or will it all be ambient?

One thing you have on your side is that shooting in a pool is nice because of the clear water. Non-pristine water is something that we fight against constantly. That said, you still don't want a ton of water between you and your subject.

The first rule of underwater photography is to get as close as you can. The second rule is to then get closer.

This typically lends itself to requiring rather wide lenses to capture the entire subject in the frame. There's also considerations of minimum focus distance due to the nature of optics underwater and a lens behind a (likely dome) port. Regardless of what lens you end up shooting with, you might need a close-up filter (diopter).

Do you happen to know what type of shots you'll be planning? Head shots, full body, action shots, etc.? Do you know what you're going to need for lighting - or will it all be ambient?

One thing you have on your side is that shooting in a pool is nice because of the clear water. Non-pristine water is something that we fight against constantly. That said, you still don't want a ton of water between you and your subject.

That's what I figured. It's going to be a head shot, lit with 2 studio strobes pointing down at the water. one in Rembrandt and another behind to illuminate her hair. the 50 can can get me a headshot about 3 feet away and the 18-135 can get the same shot at about 1.7 feet. Is 3 feet of water in between the subject and I in a pool enough to affect resolution?

That's what I figured. It's going to be a head shot, lit with 2 studio strobes pointing down at the water. one in Rembrandt and another behind to illuminate her hair. the 50 can can get me a headshot about 3 feet away and the 18-135 can get the same shot at about 1.7 feet. Is 3 feet of water in between the subject and I in a pool enough to affect resolution?

I've never done a pool shoot other than my kids but if you're just doing a head shot then it seems the 50 would work. Most pool work I've seen on here is full body shots with props etc requiring a wider lens. However, I would think that even at 3ft without underwater strobes you're going to get some loss of red light. Again, there are some guys on here with experience at this who haven't gotten around to reading this. I would find some of their posts and send them a PM.

I've never done a pool shoot other than my kids but if you're just doing a head shot then it seems the 50 would work. Most pool work I've seen on here is full body shots with props etc requiring a wider lens. However, I would think that even at 3ft without underwater strobes you're going to get some loss of red light. Again, there are some guys on here with experience at this who haven't gotten around to reading this. I would find some of their posts and send them a PM.

it'll be 100% artificial lighting with a black blackdrop behind the model to kill any left over ambient. I think I might just make a new thread to see if everything will work.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements