Sign in to follow this  
Hani Amir

Using a (non DS) Substrobe 200 as an optical slave?

A friend said I could use his (since he doesn't use it it anymore); now I just need a way to get it to fire. I'm using OEM canon housings so just connecting cords isn't an option. Oh I plan to get a YS-110a a bit later on, so would this be a good complementary slave to it?

I can't believe no one answered you yet. I did a little searching and on the appropriate Ikelite web page, HERE it seems to indicate that this would not work as the strobe will not respond to Ike's manual sensor:

The Manual Controller derives its power from and can only be used with the gray DS series SubStrobes. The SubStrobe must be set to TTL mode when used with the Manual Controller to receive the predetermined quench signal for the power chosen.

Without their manual controller, I don't know how you'd get the strobe to fire - I don't think it has a built-in sensor of any kind, and if it did the pre-DS series would likely not have been configured to avoid the pre-flashes that the modern built-in camera strobes use.

Edited by rtrski

You can get one of the older red Ikelite slave sensors on Ebay. You would HAVE to set up the camera so that it does NOT fire a preflash. Then you could use the SS200.

I use them underwater all the time as optical slaves to my SLR - firing everything manually.

Cheers

James

James - thanks for correcting me, that's good to know!

Well - I didn't say it would work. You didn't tell us which camera you use and if you can disable the preflash by setting the camera's flash mode to "manual." So tell us we're curious! :-)

Cheers

James

Well the camera I will be using (don't have it just yet hehe) is the Canon G10. Not sure if I can disable the preflash, but I assume it will work atleast as a slave to the YS-110a I will eventually get. Probably will be hard getting the powerlevels to match up, but hey, no harm trying eh? No luck on Ebay btw. Do you know of any online stores that sells old equipment like this? The way I see it, if it was good enough back in 1999, it's good enough for my broke self now :D.

Edited by Hani Amir

Not sure if I can disable the preflash

The canon uses TTL flash in every mode except manual I think. Put your G10 in manual mode and it will put the flash in manual mode. That I suppose would mean - no pre-flash.

There's a black substrobe up on ebay right now - listed 24 April. Starting bid seems at bit high at 450...you'd be better off bidding on one of captainboog's DS125s, at only about $100 more for buy-it-now.

Haven't seen an old slave sensor yet either, but the newer ones have popped up a time or two (for a DS125). Then you'd also have better luck reselling the 125 since it is compatible with current Ike TTL circuitry.

Just a thought....

Oh, if you DO buy from ebay - use the live search cashback trick!!! PM me if you don't know how, dont' know about today but as of yesterday it was 14% cash back, so around $75 for boog's strobe with the charger. (Save me from my wife...I've been itching to push the button on that myself all weekend, but keep telling myself I need a first trip with the DS50s and the new WA lens before I can 'justify' that I really 'need' the additional strobe power. :D )

Edited by rtrski

Hani:

That black SS200 just relisted on ebay starting at $275 - guess he got no strikes at the $450 starting price. Just FYI, if you were still looking.

As others have said your Canon PS G10 will not put out a preflash while in manual exposure mode. Don't forget to lower the output power on your G10's internal flash just enough to trigger the SS200 on slave mode. If the SS200 slave trigger is too finicky to mess with or frustrates you , then you can rig up a fiber optic connection that would help out on making sure the SS200 is really fired when your internal flash goes off. Don't forget to force the internal flash on. Hold the strobe back to vary the amount of strobe light your shot will get or if the SS200 has output flash power control, then try out the lower settings.

If it were my housing and G10, I would abandon the Canon housing and go for another one that has a strobe bulkhead so you can use a hard wired connected strobe. There are special adapters i.e. Heinrich Wiekamp Digital Adapter cables that will allow you to reuse these old analog strobes. Watch out for the newer housings that will lock you in to wideangle only before you enter the ocean! Get one that allows you to switch while underwater.

Much cheaper than buying a new strobe.

Good Luck!

Charlie

A friend said I could use his (since he doesn't use it it anymore); now I just need a way to get it to fire. I'm using OEM canon housings so just connecting cords isn't an option. Oh I plan to get a YS-110a a bit later on, so would this be a good complementary slave to it?

Hani:

That black SS200 just relisted on ebay starting at $275 - guess he got no strikes at the $450 starting price. Just FYI, if you were still looking.

Thanks for the tip but I think I'll figure out what to do with this thing after I get un-broke again hehe.

As others have said your Canon PS G10 will not put out a preflash while in manual exposure mode. Don't forget to lower the output power on your G10's internal flash just enough to trigger the SS200 on slave mode. If the SS200 slave trigger is too finicky to mess with or frustrates you , then you can rig up a fiber optic connection that would help out on making sure the SS200 is really fired when your internal flash goes off. Don't forget to force the internal flash on. Hold the strobe back to vary the amount of strobe light your shot will get or if the SS200 has output flash power control, then try out the lower settings.

If it were my housing and G10, I would abandon the Canon housing and go for another one that has a strobe bulkhead so you can use a hard wired connected strobe. There are special adapters i.e. Heinrich Wiekamp Digital Adapter cables that will allow you to reuse these old analog strobes. Watch out for the newer housings that will lock you in to wideangle only before you enter the ocean! Get one that allows you to switch while underwater.

Much cheaper than buying a new strobe.

Good Luck!

Charlie

Thanks. I'm considering investing in strobes which do have the bulkhead connector so that once I finally get a housing for my DSLR or when the G11 comes out; I can get something like an ikelite which supports cables.

As mentioned above.

It will work with the red ikelite slave sensor. Put the strobe in manual mode. You do have to make sure you can turn of the pre flash. Otherwise the strobe will fire on the pre flash and your picture will not be illuminated.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements