sharkdiver289

Sanyo HD2000 and Epoque housing

Hello,

I've read several posts from people who have had problems with the Epoque housing and I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has had a good experience with the housing. The sanyo hd2000 has received great reviews from all the reporting sites. Manual ISO, WB, low lux etc.

The problem is with the housing...I haven't seen any positive posts, several negative, but no positive. I spoke with the US distributor today and he said that he sells quite a few of them and they do not receive complaints...i'd like to hear from the people who are happy with their purchase. I'm trying to figure out a new housing purchase for a guadalupe trip. I have a sony hc7 but i'm looking for a compact housing. It may be easier to get the sanyo and a small housing.

Also...anyone have any experience with patima housings?

Epoque USA has stated that these issues were due to camera alignment, and as long as the camera is installed correctly there are no issues with the housing's water tight integrity.

Patima also builds a housing for this camera. This housing incorporates the camera's remote control, allowing access to slow zoom and all menu functions (including one touch white balance!). It is bigger, and heavier, but does feel more robust.

The HD2000 will be almost identical to this housing for HD1010, and will be backwards compatible to HD1000 and HD1010.

http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=3244

Edited by Ryan

I've done 2 dives with the Patima housing & an Xacti 1010 camera, and was pleased with its performance. We sent them out to an optiquatics workshop last week at the Oregon Coast Aquarium, and they didn't come home, so I'm thinking they were pleased with its performance too!

I was actually quite impressed by the video quality, considering this is an under $600 camera. I was able to manually white balance at 60ft without lights, which isn't something the $1300 Sony XR520 can do. I was able to do 2 dives on a battery, but I can see battery life being an issue if they were really long ones.

The ergonomics are decent, but not spectacular. The manual zoom control has decent feel, and is a comfortable reach. The menu button, and remote pushbuttons are comfortably actuated. Someone with big hands might find record a bit tricky as it is situated between the playback and menu buttons, but I'm able to operate it without issue.

Overall I really like the system, and think it is a viable option for someone with a $2000 budget.

Hey Ryan,

Can you tell me which white balance setting did you use to shoot underwater. I recently took my camera for the first time and all my pictures and videos are green in color. Did you use any strobes? I used Epoque EHS-1000 HD Housing with EL-120 HID Lights and had no water leakage.

Thanks for your help.

Hey Ryan,

Can you tell me which white balance setting did you use to shoot underwater. I recently took my camera for the first time and all my pictures and videos are green in color. Did you use any strobes? I used Epoque EHS-1000 HD Housing with EL-120 HID Lights and had no water leakage.

Thanks for your help.

I used one touch white balance, which worked well.

I've read that lot of guys do not recommend this housing due to leakage issues, but at the same time quite a number of people have reported no problems at all with it.

Is there anyone out there who has been using the Epoque EHS-1000 housing recently without any leakage problems? I'm just starting to get into surf photography and am considering this setup...

Thanks guys

I'm also considering the Epoque housing for the HD-2000. I won't be diving anything deeper than say 10 meters, but I'm still concerned. For me, the $850 so far I've spent on the camcorder with accessories is pretty pricey, and spending another $400 on this housing is one heckuva investment as well.

I know that mid to late 2008 Epoque stated they changed up the design to minimize human error (supposedly). I was wondering if anyone with experience with the 'fixed' housings had any issues or noticed a difference.

Also, i was told that the Epoque housing will have no problem with the HD2000.

Any thoughts from the braintrust?

Edited by Davenrothz

Hi,

I also have the HD2000 and am very happy with quality and controls topside and am also considering the Epoque housing for use while diving as I am not happy with the Nikon D90 video results u/w ( exp. metering ,focus mainly ) and so concentrating on stills with that now anyway. So I have the same concerns about the watertight integrity as the others in this thread as I don´t want to buy the very nice but expensive Patima housing (too many fast changes with cameras for the investment!).

Any good user experiences with Epoque also very welcome.

Thanks

Hi Geopadi - I've just come back from a three week trip to Halmahera, Raja Empat and Lembeh where I used a Sanyo HD2000 and Epoque housing for 60+ dives. I had no problems with the housing at all except for a minor leak when I was testing it in the camera tank prior to a dive and that was entirely down to user error as I forgot to fasten one of the clamps! As the o-ring is quite complicated I only greased it at the beginning of the trip and then left it in place merely applying a smear of grease every day or so to the opposite suface and that seemd to work well. I was able to white balance using my hand down to 25-30m which seemed to give good colours and never needed to use a colour correction lens. The only slight down side for me was that the housing is quite small and even mounted on a plate it could be hard to hold still for macro shots - however since this was my first attempt at video this my be down to my lack of skill and a small housing is nice when it comes to travelling. Given the total cost of camera and housing I think it represents an excellent deal especially if you have existing external 67mm wet lenses as I do.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Ron - I'll definitely post some example video but it might be a little time as at the moment I don't have editing software or powerful enough PC so I have to get that sorted out which won't be unitil after Christmas. If I can figure out how to reduce their size I'll try an post some clips straight from the camera before then.

Richard

I've posted a short video made up from some random clips straight from the camera. I've used the software that came with the camera and I don't think that I used a very good format to export as it looks very flat compared to when I view it on the the TV straight from the camera. Hopefully though it gives some idea of the capability of the camera - these clips were all taken in the 15-25m range without lights using manual white balance against my hand. Anyway it wil have to do until I get some editing software and time to use it.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year

Richard

Hi Geopadi - I've just come back from a three week trip to Halmahera, Raja Empat and Lembeh where I used a Sanyo HD2000 and Epoque housing for 60+ dives. I had no problems with the housing at all except for a minor leak when I was testing it in the camera tank prior to a dive and that was entirely down to user error as I forgot to fasten one of the clamps! As the o-ring is quite complicated I only greased it at the beginning of the trip and then left it in place merely applying a smear of grease every day or so to the opposite suface and that seemd to work well. I was able to white balance using my hand down to 25-30m which seemed to give good colours and never needed to use a colour correction lens. The only slight down side for me was that the housing is quite small and even mounted on a plate it could be hard to hold still for macro shots - however since this was my first attempt at video this my be down to my lack of skill and a small housing is nice when it comes to travelling. Given the total cost of camera and housing I think it represents an excellent deal especially if you have existing external 67mm wet lenses as I do.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Thanks Richard sorry for late reply but never saw the post! and no email notification of update

Anyway I went ahead and got the Epoque housing and also had absolutely no problems with it after 20+ dives in Galapogos on the Aggressor II in January. The only small problem I had was condensation between my magic filter and housing glass as the air just doesnt circulate there due to tight fit and the little silica pill seems ineffective.

I just used auto WB with it and adjusted to taste afterwards in Final cut express. Everyone seems to have thought colours were good. I have since bought Lock´n load image stab software and its so good I am going to re edit the shots using it, due as you rightly say to the difficulty of holding the small unit steady, I hate jiggly video!

I have thought of mounting it on top of my Nikon D90 Ikelite rig but I think getting in oand out of water would need a lot of good help!

Thanks and hope that helps

George

I have this setup. It doesn't leak but I've yet to get the zoom to work. The vids on www.rainbowsensor.com click: correlation experiment are with this camera. We don't have underwater up yet but we will.

Tom

Camera flooded today. Amusingly I did not flood yesterday at depth but did today at 5 feet. The camera was NOT opened between yesterday and today,

Thought I would just update this thread with a video clip of a dive on Lankan Manta Point during a recent trip to the Maldives. This was my second trip with the setup and I continue to be pleased with the results for what is a relatively cheap camera and housing.

Richard

Richard,

Excellent video. I was impresse by how stable the camera was and, of course, the subject matter.

A couple of questions.

1-When and how did you set the white balance.

2-What editing software did you use and did you use any color correction.

3-I noticed that you didn't use much zoom and I had real trouble on the chep housing getting the zoom to work (The Patima is much better) What is your experience with the zoom?

4-Did you ever try to use a light?

I am going to the Philippines in January and will post some shots

Regards,

Tom,

1 - I just use my hand to white balance against so it's pretty quick and I normally try to do so before each shot. Just in case I need to start shooting straight away I also try and white balance every time I change depth or I notice that the light has changed.

2 - I used Sony Vegas to edit the video and it does have colour correction tools. In this video I've used colour correction but mainly to try and get the blues to look similar from one shot to another rather than because I needed to bring back colour.

3 - I've not had any problem using the zoom on the Epoque housing although I tend not to use it for WA shots as the resulting video can be rather soft and washed out. For macro subjects I've found the macro setting + zoom to give good results.

4 - I do have a light but to be honest apart from at night I've hardly used it as I've been pretty happy with the results without it. I find using it somewhat hit and miss regarding lighting the subject properly and getting a good WB and am happier without that stress.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks. I will be in the Philippines for 14 diving days in January and I'll post my videos on youtube for everybody. I think the clips will simply be the best clips not a finished story. It would take too much time to do more.

1-Using your hand to balance is fascinating. I love this because each clip will be balenced to my hand. If I need to adjust I will use a standard adjustment in postprocessing.

2-I use Corel which also had color and white balance tools.

3-I have not tried macro + zoom. I will experiment

4. I will not purchase a light. One advantage of where I am going is a shallow house reef.

I am primarly a still photographer and have no intention of investing big bucks in video. A light would be over my limit. Interesting that my still rig is $10K but I don't want to spend $2K on video. Not really darkside yet.

Tom

PS: If you are lurking on this thread and want a notification of when the clips are posted please email me at tomreynolds_ilan@yahoo.com

Sponsors

Advertisements