Sign in to follow this  
MrFish

Irian Jaya Diving

i am considering spending a couple of weeks diving at Max Ammer's place in Irian Jaya at xmas, but would like to know if anyone here has been there and what they thought of the place.

i am considering spending a couple of weeks diving at Max Ammer's place in Irian Jaya at xmas, but would like to know if anyone here has been there and what they thought of the place.

I've been there. The diving is fantastic. Superlative. Awesome. Top knotch. Unparalleled. Best ever for me, and I've been to a lot of places. Expect to see

a higher fish density on some dives than you have ever seen before, mixed with some of the most beautiful

coral reefs you will ever see. The coral variety and condition is amazing. When the currents are right you will see "rivers" of fish crossing over each other, etc.

The diving variety is very high with reefs, wrecks, and muck. Macro and wide angle opportunities are equally

fantastic.

The surface scenery is awesome as well. Rock islands more beautiful than palau, caves with bones and bats. Mangrove swamps

and powder white sand beaches. One afternoon we climbed to the top of a pretty high island to see birds of paradise.

Theres a large resident cassowary which is fun to take pictures of but also a little bit of a pest.

Currents were sometimes extreme.

The accomodations, service, etc are pretty rough. Showers consisted of scooping water from a barrel. Food was occasionally very good

but on the whole pretty mediocre. Rooms consisted of a matress, mosquito net (very important), and a small shelf. You had to ask them

to turn the generator on for charging batteries.

The "no dives on saturday" religious thing will annoy you.

When we went, we combined it with a trip to KBR afterwards, which was good because the relatively luxurious accomodations there

were a welcome change after a couple weeks of roughing it.

I'd be happy to answer any further questions.

It sounds ideal. I just need to sort out some air tickets. My wife has just started work as a travel consultant so i should be able to get the tickets cheap.

I have seen the photos of the accomadation and it looks ideal for me. I much prefer bamboo hut accomadation.

I am hoping to get some spectacular wide-angle photos.

There will be alternatives to land-base diving in Irian Jaya at or around Christmas. Several Bali-based liveaboards will be in the Rajah Empat (Sorong/Irian Jaya/Papua whatever) area in that period.

December-March is the deepest part of the rainy season in the Bali-Komodo part of Indonesia, so a number of operators are rebasing to Sorong during all or this season. The transfer trips (usually two stages, Bali to Kupang (Timor) and then Timor to Sorong, then back again) are also worth looking at, particularly the Kupang-Sorong or Sorong-Kupang trips, as these generally include diving in Banda Sea and Alor region as well 5-6 days in Rajah Empat area.

These include Pelagian, Sea Safari (the Kararu boat), and Komodo Adventurer (a new boat which Larry Smith (formerly Pelagian, and before that KBR, and before that...) is now associated with), and that's just the ones I know about. I think there's a good chance at least one or two other boats might be in the area as well.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements