BotSO

Magic Filter on Canon 16-35 II

Has anyone gotten the Magic Filter to work with a 16-35 II? I assume it's got a rear gelatin filter slot but don't have my copy with me to check. Ideas or guidance is appreciated.

B

Has anyone gotten the Magic Filter to work with a 16-35 II? I assume it's got a rear gelatin filter slot but don't have my copy with me to check. Ideas or guidance is appreciated.

B

Mine has no rear slot :D

Are you not able to tape it in position like the Tokina 10-17

There is a drop in filter holder at the rear of the lens so the "normal" compact magic filters would be fine, I guess. I use them with m 17-40mm and 15mm with the drop in filter holder.

Hope this helps.

Tristan

Hi Basim,

My understanding is that the 16-35mm Mk2 does not have a rear filter slot - unlike the 16-35mm MK1 and 17-40mm.

The front filter thread is 82mm - bigger than any of our existing filters. We have looked into getting some larger filters cut, but since a large number of 16-35mm Mk2 users, don't use dioptres with their lenses, there is still the problem of how to mount them - as the easiest way to mount them on the front of these lenses is behind a dioptre or clear UV filter:

ma_fit3.jpg

It should be possible to attach a filter to the rear of the 16-35mm Mk2 - as many do with the 10-17mm:

http://www.magic-filters.com/tokina.html

But I have never tried this.

Alex

So taping appears to be the most cost effective route. Anyone with an idea of what size of Alex's current offerings would be best for taping? I guess I could always cut down to size.

The biggest of the small rear of lens filters is the Canon ones - MC-15 (32mmx32mm), alternatively the 50x50mm (2 inch square) sheet is a good bet.

Alex

Since my last post here, and prompted particularly by the video capabilities of the 5d Mk2, we have had a small run of 85mm square original Magic filters produced.

We thought about getting 81mm discs made, but knew that the moment we did someone would release another lens and they'd be the wrong size for that too. Hopefully the sheets will prove more future proof! So the plan is to supply the 85mm sheets with stencil to allow users to cut the filter to fit this lens (and/or) other different sized lenses in the future.

Although annoyingly, each time I have been down to my local Canon Pro dealer they never have this lens in stock. It is always on back order. So I have not been able to measure the exact size of filter required. Please can someone with this lens measure it for me?

What I need to know is the internal diameter (in mm) of the front of the lens - so that a filter cut this size could be dropped in as in the picture above and secured behind a dioptre or UV/skylight/clear filter.

post-713-1246986921.jpg

Thank you.

Alex

BotSo,

Go with Alex's recommendation of the large round filter and if you don't want to put a skylight or clear filter to hold it in place.

ON my old Canon 10-22mm lens I used just the filter ring from an old filter with busted glass :nea: Of course I took all the glass out of the ring FIRST! LOL....

Even though I'm sure some Canon shooters of APS-C dSLR with Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye lenses have taped the filter on the rear after cutting little "ears" to tape down, I'd worry about it coming loose and your dSLR mirror slapping it ;)

Mount it in front and especially since Alex has the larger size now.....

YMMV

dhaas

Since my last post here, and prompted particularly by the video capabilities of the 5d Mk2, we have had a small run of 85mm square original Magic filters produced.

We thought about getting 81mm discs made, but knew that the moment we did someone would release another lens and they'd be the wrong size for that too. Hopefully the sheets will prove more future proof! So the plan is to supply the 85mm sheets with stencil to allow users to cut the filter to fit this lens (and/or) other different sized lenses in the future.

Although annoyingly, each time I have been down to my local Canon Pro dealer they never have this lens in stock. It is always on back order. So I have not been able to measure the exact size of filter required. Please can someone with this lens measure it for me?

What I need to know is the internal diameter (in mm) of the front of the lens - so that a filter cut this size could be dropped in as in the picture above and secured behind a dioptre or UV/skylight/clear filter.

post-713-1246986921.jpg

Thank you.

Alex

Alex, I just happened to be doing some reloading and had my calipers in the house....my measurement was 81.30mm .

Hope this helps.

Geoff

PS, on a side note, I take it that its about impossilbe to try to get any filter (magic or not) on the canon 14mm lens? I havent compared my 14 against the 16-35 underwater but the 14mm shames the 16-35 topside.

Edited by gbrandon

Here was my cheesy attempt to use a Magic Filter on the 16-35II. It wasn't pretty, but it worked!

P.S. I agree that I'd love to have a Magic Filter for the 14mmII...haven't tried to tape one onto that (yet)! :D

post-65-1247246818.jpg

P.S. I agree that I'd love to have a Magic Filter for the 14mmII...haven't tried to tape one onto that (yet)! :B):

Hey Bruce,

I am not a Canon user, but I am pretty sure that the 14mm Mk2 has a rear filter slot? Which will take the standard Canon rear lenses Magic Filter (M15C) - which I suspect you already have? This is the same one that also fits on the rear of the Canon 15mm FE, 14MM Mk1, 16-35mm Mk1 and 17-40mm.

Also - for general interest, the 85mm square filter for the 16-35mm Mk2 is now available on the Magic Filters website. We don't have loads of these - so we have restricted them to single sheet packs.

Alex

Sponsors

Advertisements