Sign in to follow this  
matt215

Top Dawg Housing

I am thinking of getting into video, but have a limited budget. Is the top dawg housing ok for entry level video?

I am thinking of getting into video, but have a limited budget. Is the top dawg housing ok for entry level video?

Lots of folks who've been shooting video for years use them. Suggest you read everything you can in this forum, sell your Ferrari, quit your job, and live the dream.

Or, do what I did: read up on the state of the art stuff a few years ago, steal it on eBay and live the dream a generation behind the guys who lead the way...

Or, in my case, a few generations behind...

That's an excellent idea! Why? Because that's what I did last April of 2008 and it turned out to be a great decision I think. I have been diving for quite a few years and decided last year to do more with my diving and wanted to explore doing UW video. As it turns out, a lady at our local dive shop wanted to sell her Top Dawg unit with camera, HID lights, pelican case, monitor back, etc. The original cost was just a little over $4000 when she bought it in 2006. It was in great shape and I paid her $1000 for all of it. So far I have had it on two trips with a third coming up next week in Little Cayman.

I couldn't be more pleased with this unit. I have a Sony DCR-HC32 camera with it and just purchased a new HC32 as a back-up for $159.00. The unit is easy to use. The two things that it doesn't have that would be nice is the flip filter for color correction (but I just screw that onto the camera before I put it in the housing) and manual white balance. I have the camera set on AWB and for the type of diving I do that works pretty well.

Really, for an into unit into video I don't think it can be beat. I was able to get into video without spending a ton of money, it has allowed me to do some video to see if this is something I want to stick with and not a passing fad, and the results have been really good so far. I'm sure in the future I'll upgrade to HD and get a housing with all the bells and whistles.

I do see some used ones come up for sale from time to time on here, e-bay, etc. I think you will be well pleased if you go this route.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements