Fontaine

WA confusion

Hello,

Ive been using a P and S and am going to be purchasing a Canon 500D soon (with a Sea and Sea housing), I am a bit confused with the sea of WA lenses available for purchase. With my P and S I use an Inon 165 degree "fish eye" wet mount lens and absolutely love it, basically I want to buy a lens and a port that will give me the same effect as this lens on my canon.

Should i be looking to get a fixed focal length fish eye lens with fish eye dome port?

or..

Should i be looking to get an ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) angle lens with normal dome port or fish eye dome port?

or..

Can I just use the standard 18-55mm lens that comes with the camera and put it in a fish eye dome port and still get the fish eye effect?

I dont need a full 180 degrees, i like the 165 because i think its maybe more versatile then a 180 degree fixed focal length lens (i could be dead wrong).... Anyway I am a beginner when it comes to DSLRs and need some advice, I have searched through the beginner forums and havnt found the info im looking for.

I just want a good versatile lens and port which proves to be good for a variety of WA subjects and I love to have the rounded fish eye effect.....

Thanks for any advice you have for me, I would love to hear what your favorite WA set up is for your Canon!!!

Maybe I could twist your arm into showing me your wonderful pics to give me an example of what a fixed focal length fish eye lens gives you in comparison to some other WA lenses :blink: .

Cheers!

Hi Bubblz,

Congrats on the new Canon rig! The Tokina 10-17 is a very good option for you. Here is a thread where some folks put up some samples. http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...xample&st=0

And here is an article by Dr. Mustard that has some more details about how to use it http://www.amustard.com/?page=pro&ext=...news&size=s.

It's a very popular setup and if you do a search here you'll find some more info.

Cheers,

Steve

Wow, the lens of my dreams :blink:

Thanks very much Steve, I found both the pictures and Mustards review exceptionally helpful! I have added it to my wish list and cant wait to get in the water.

I guess its a no brainer but the ideal port for this lens would be a fish eye dome port, right?

Cheers

Wow, the lens of my dreams ;)

Thanks very much Steve, I found both the pictures and Mustards review exceptionally helpful! I have added it to my wish list and cant wait to get in the water.

I guess its a no brainer but the ideal port for this lens would be a fish eye dome port, right?

Cheers

HappyBubblz, how did you go with this setup. What dome and parts did you buy and how was you result? I'm considering S&S for the same setup

Thanks

/O

Sponsors

Advertisements