Sign in to follow this  
vinny

Website image size ?

Hi

i am trying to organise a website and put some pictures in a gallery , i know they have to be pretty small

i have looked thru a lot of topics and i am still unsure what is the best option on size and how best to save them

so this is how i tried

i started with files (Jpegs)from 3.5 Megs - 8 Megs 3648-2736 pixel dimensions 240 Dpi

i used a watermark programme to add a watermark then saved them Jpegs of 350 Kbs-700kbs 3648-2736 pix dimensions 96 Dpi

they still seemed to big , when uploading to the website, so i opened the 700 kbs files with CS3 and tried to save for Web and Devices route and it says 'the image exceeds the size Save for Web was designed for'

so i opened them in lightroom and now have saved them down to about 250 kbs 3648-2736 pix dimensions 240 Dpi

i know this is a long way round and would like help with the best way to go about this and which settings are best for a website

ie the size in Kbs , the pix dimensions and the Dpi

i can save the images with the photowatermark prog differently , image size in % or different dimensions , but the watermark goes wrong

so for the web would it be better to have smaller pix dimensions and higher Dpi ?

any help would be much appreciated

yours

vinny

The DPI is only to be bothered about when printing to a paper. Otherwise it's just a useless number. Do you need the 10MP resolution when a HD resolution is 2MP (1920x1080)? I use two 1440x900px screens and the pictures is good enough with that resolution. You can always put up some som RAR-archives to download (easier than downloading one at a time) if you want to provide bigger pics.

Do you get how I'm thinking?

Hi grayscale

thanks for the reply

but you totally lost me there!

i want to put pictures up on a website , to view in a gallery

not for downlaoding just browsing

so do you mean it doesn't matter what Dpi i use?

cheers

vinny

No, the Dpi (dots per inch) is just for printing. Make a test with an image saved twice, and the only difference is the dpi. Keep the resolution and quality the same, then check the preferences for filesize and quality in an imageviewer. An image at 200*200px will be 2*2in when printed with 100 dpi and 4*4in with 50dpi.

A lot of people still use a 1024*768 px wide screen and would need to put 4*4 screens to view the entire image at one time if you go with full resolution.

If you post an image here at wetpixel, it will be shrunked down to about 710*480px.

Check a few other websites and compare. Bigger isn't always the best.

And also. Make a small thumbnail for each image to click on for the highres. Makes loading faster (but are annoying if it's many pictures.)

Time to sleep!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements