Hello all-

I'm researching options for adding TTL to Aquatica housings for Canon 40d and 5d MII using Inon Z-240 strobes. After reading through the various posts here and information on the HeinrichsWeikamp website it seems like the options are:

1. Internal HW eTTL converter board. Nice, tidy, and internal, no depth rating issues. Doesn't seem to have as many (published) issues as the external converter. It does sound a bit "interesting" to install, switching between modes during the dive looks difficult, and looks to require converting the housings to S6 bulkheads.

2. External HW eTTL converter. There seem to be quite a few issues published here and other forums. Not sure if this has been worked out, but it does make me wonder. My primary reservation on this option is adding another external component, and the depth rating of the unit as I require 100 MSW minimum. I'm waiting to hear from HW on this question. I do like the option to switch between TTL and manual during the dive. Also requires conversion to S6 bulkheads.

3. External eTTL converter from Sea&Sea. I don't know much about this one yet other than it's expensive. Does look to work with my existing N5 bulkheads which is a bit confusing since I thought that Canon eTTL required the 6th pin?

4. A flash gun from SeaCam which look to have the eTTL capabilities built in. This is a very attractive though expensive option, especially considering my existing investment in 4 Inon strobes.

So, my questions are:

1. Am I missing any serious options or wrong about the options I outlined?

2. I see quite a bit of "frustrated" feedback on the HW external option; any feedback either way on the internal option?

3. Suggestions for install services to add the internal HW board to my housings if I decide to go that way? I can most likely get it done myself, but if there is an option to have a someone with experience do the work I'd strongly consider that. In the US.

4. Anyone had their Aquatica housings retro-fitted with S6 bulkheads? Thoughts on this?

5. Any other feedback on what I'm trying to do.

Thanks

-Judd

My store does a couple of these installs per week, so I'll offer some clarification where I can.

1. Internal HW eTTL converter board. Nice, tidy, and internal, no depth rating issues. Doesn't seem to have as many (published) issues as the external converter. It does sound a bit "interesting" to install, switching between modes during the dive looks difficult, and looks to require converting the housings to S6 bulkheads.

We've actually moved almost exclusively to the external models due to better reliability. Most of the issues with the internal converter involved user error and some saltwater, but they were more prevalent. This install DOES NOT require an s6 bulkhead, but does require pins 1-3 wired on the Aquatica N5 connector, which the Aquatica 5D II I have on my bench now does not.

. External HW eTTL converter. There seem to be quite a few issues published here and other forums. Not sure if this has been worked out, but it does make me wonder. My primary reservation on this option is adding another external component, and the depth rating of the unit as I require 100 MSW minimum. I'm waiting to hear from HW on this question. I do like the option to switch between TTL and manual during the dive. Also requires conversion to S6 bulkheads.

This is my preferred method. I haven't quite had it to 100m, but I've had it close, and it didn't implode.

3. External eTTL converter from Sea&Sea. I don't know much about this one yet other than it's expensive. Does look to work with my existing N5 bulkheads which is a bit confusing since I thought that Canon eTTL required the 6th pin?

YS TTL Converter for Canon, which is not shipping yet, is supposed to work with 50d, but I haven't seen an official announcement on 5D2. We have manufactured the custom 6 pin bulkhead required for this installation for Aquatica housings, but I'd wait until the converter is tested first.

4. A flash gun from SeaCam which look to have the eTTL capabilities built in. This is a very attractive though expensive option, especially considering my existing investment in 4 Inon strobes.

I agree, looks like an excellent product. I also like the led display of flash power discharged very much, allowing someone to learn from their strobe, and provide a starting point when switching away from ttl output when it is missing.

Great info, thanks for the reply and help. From a ease point of view I'm leaning more and more toward the external option but some of the posts here had me a bit worried. Matthais at HW also let me know they have an alloy option to increase the depth rating.

Another thing you have to remember is 2nd/rear curtain is only available with the Seacam strobes for Canon.

I'm not sure you read my experience with the HW external but if you do a search in this forum, it should be in here somewhere.

Sponsors

Advertisements