Sign in to follow this  
cemacur

Planning to buy Nikon D90

Hi,

I am new to dslr cameras.

I have a canon ixus camera and canon housing. and trying get some pics without using strobes.

I am planning to buy a D90 and need help..

Which housing do i need to prefer?

Planning to buy a Tokina 10-17 and 60mm macro lens. When i am buying the camera will it be useful for me to get it in a package inc. 18-100 lens for land use or is it better to buy just the body?

What are the things i need to buy to complete my set-up. Is it possible to use the two lenses i mentioned with the same port?

Please Help..

Cheers

Cem

Is it possible to use the two lenses i mentioned with the same port?

No way.

I think it's better to buy the package with the 18-200mm or 18-105mm VR lens

yes, you can use both lenses in the same port, a dome port, but as Felix is hinting at above, it will be much better if you buy a separate flat port (macro port) for your 60mm lens.

to complete the set-up, you can start off by getting 1 or 2 strobes, 1 or 2 sync cables, and a zoom ring for your 10-17mm lens. one of the sponsors on the right can probably put together a package for you with everything you need.

hope this helps

scott

Kit lenses are fine if you have a use for the focal range. However better optics are available for a price. What's the limit on your Platinum Card :)

If you plan to do much dive/photo travel I'd suggest also purchasing spares for the electronic stuff. If you pay big $$ for a trip & your only strobe dies, it is not a pleasant experience. Different lenses typically require different ports for optimum performance - flat port for macro lenses & dome for WA.

Edited by jcclink

The are a few housings available for the D90. Got the the following site for a list of available housings:

http://www.digideep.com/english/digital/ph...on/D90/25/3538/

Do some homework and make sure that the have ports, gear, etc to support the lenses you want. I would say that the Tokina 10-17 and Nikon AF-S 60mm is the 2 most popular lenses for underwater use and all the D90 housing should be able to support these lenses (but check anyway). I was about the pull the trigger on a Nexus housing until I found out that they do not have the gears to support the Tokina 12-24. Therefore, I am going with Aquatica. You can forget Sea and Sea as on option. I e-mailed them and they are NOT coming out with a housing for this camera.

Another thing to consider is the availability of the housing to your country and ease as to getting it serviced.

Hope this was helpful

Kirk

Oh, I forgot.

Flat port for Macro and Dome for Wide Angle / Fisheye lenses. Forget the 6" dome port and go with the 8" dome port. They are a little more money, but you'll be happy with the pictures.

kirk

I was thinking of Aquatica initially because they have the gear for Tokina 12-24. But after I have shot my friend's Tokina 12-24mm setup at Tulamben, Bali, I give in to Tokina 10-17mm and Nexus housing. The smaller fisheye dome of of the Tokina 10-17 is alot easier to move and follow the motions of the mantas and Mola-Mola as there are less drag underwater due to the compactness of the dome.

The closest focus distance of the Tokina 12-24 is not as close as the 10-17mm, even the Nikon 12-24 or Nikon 10.5 fisheye can't get as close as the Tokina 10-17mm. U may want to consider Tokina 10-17mm

But then, do whatever your pockets say.

Happy diving!

Even if Nexus does not have a custom gear for the Tokina 12-24, check for available gears that are close to the proper ID. If one is just slightly too large, shim it was a few layers of tape, etc. I did a similar thing for the 17-55. Works fine.

Edited by jcclink

Thank you for all your help.

Now i am sure that i will buy two different ports for macro and wideangle lenses..

Does anyone suggest any other lenses or can anyone say that buy this lens , this one is better?

Kirk and wideanglelens:

Why your first pick is Nexus? I was thinking on Aquatica or İkelite.

And for the strobes Inon's S&S's or İke's? which ones as we compare money/performance??

Thanks alot

Cheers

Cem

Cem

I choose Nexus housing because of the compactness and small form factor (compared to other housing brands). It also weigh less than most housings if not all. Packing for travel is easier.

I also like the small diameter of the 10-17mm port. I do some wreck dives and do some light penetrations into wrecks if permits. The small port allows be to maneuvoure in tight spaces without worrying too much of scratching the port surface. The 8" dome ports may not be so lucky.

Another reason is that I can quickly move my housing to follow sharks motion with the smaller Nexus 10-17mm port. A 8" dome is slightly unwieldy. The 8" port also traps air and due to buoyancy, the camera housing tilts upwards.

Last reason is because I like to fire my strobes optically. Nexus housings has optically fiber connectors. The optical fiber cable is easier to maintain and light and cheap. Can even DIY. Also we can use S-TTL with the Inon strobes, thus eliminating the need for TTL converter. Electrical sync cords are bulky and costs many times more than optical fibre. Nexus housings, though, has an option to have 5 pin Nikonos bulkhead install.

All in all I got the Nexus at a good price from overseas and it represents good value for money in many sense.

Strobes wise, I have used Inon for past 5 years since D180 days. S&S strobes are decent too, eg YS 110Alpha. I shun Ikelite cos of it's non AA batteries compliant! :)

I got Inon strobes of its compactness and price too. Sea&Sea strobes are around the same category. Ikelite strobes are big and more expensive. PM me for prices and where to get. Warrantied products

PM me if u have questions. I would love to explain to u more

Thank you for all your help.

Now i am sure that i will buy two different ports for macro and wideangle lenses..

Does anyone suggest any other lenses or can anyone say that buy this lens , this one is better?

Kirk and wideanglelens:

Why your first pick is Nexus? I was thinking on Aquatica or İkelite.

And for the strobes Inon's S&S's or İke's? which ones as we compare money/performance??

Thanks alot

Cheers

Cem

Edited by wideanglelens

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements