Scubysnaps

New "photo friendly" mask required?

Hi :)

I want to treat myself to a new mask for my next trip and thought if a low volume mask would be good where your eyes are closer to the glass, i think the cressi big eyes evo is one, are there any other ones or other types recommended? I know fit is the main thing but wouldnt mind some advice on the latest types out there that are available that might be better for one reason or another for photography?

Cheers

Woody :)

I also use the Atomic frameless mask and I love it. It also comes in two sizes. I use the smaller of the two. Great mask!

Cheers chaps! that atomic looks nice :P

I take it "frameless" is a good thing for photographers? I've never used one before, I see obviously how it may help, is there a noticeable improvement in your field of vision then?

Oceanic shadow was another one mentioned to me which is also frameless

I've been happy with th Scubapro frameless for 15 years. Low volume, wide field of view, lightweight, and the black skirt keeps light out from the periphery.

$50 at LeisurePro.

+1 for the Oceanic Shadow. I've tried the Atomics and for my bone structure, it didn't fit as well as the shadow. I've had 3 stolen off boats so it must be REALLY good. The latest ones come with a neoprene band instead of the rubber ones. Saves me having to change it.

I suggest you test out the masks as not all masks are alike.

Another Atomic vote - cheap also - about 18 GBP on Ebay.

The low volume Halcyon is also nice but is 55 GBP which hurts a bit.

Paul C

I use an Atomic frameless, had reading lens placed in the bottom half so I can read my camera settings and I am very please with it. My friend uses the Cressi big eyes and he like it with his Olympus setup. Both are good viewfinder masks.

Elmer

Edited by eyu

I've been a big fan of the Mares X-Vision masks. Particularly good for those who need a prescription mask.

Much more reasonably priced than the Atomic and Halcyon masks, too.

Edited by CompuDude

Love the Oceanic mini-Shadow. I wanted to use the Atomic frameless, but it doesn't fit my face!

I have two scuba pro frameless. They are great. But I replaced them with two Atomics frameless. They are even better.

I do think the shape of your face is the most important feature in picking a mask.

I have two scuba pro frameless. They are great. But I replaced them with two Atomics frameless. They are even better.

I do think the shape of your face is the most important feature in picking a mask.

Be sure to test an Atomic mask before you buy and make sure you can return it if it leaks!

I tested one at a store, bought it, used it, and it leaked like a SOB...I tried everything...it just didn't fit my face.

The dive shop that is now on my sheeot list decided not to allow me to return it.

I'm sure they are a great mask if they fit and I've got one to sell if anyone needs a spare.

Mike

Another Atomic vote - cheap also - about 18 GBP on Ebay.

The low volume Halcyon is also nice but is 55 GBP which hurts a bit.

Paul C

Paul, I think all of the people mentioning the Atomics is referring to the Atomic Aquatics Mask and not the EvilBay Beaver Atomics, which I must say a little sneaky of them to use that name.

I triple what Dave said that he had to repeat it twice :P

Mask fit is an individual thing. Get it wrong and you have a leaky mask which is no fun on a dive.

Thanks guys :P

I got the atomic aquatics black frameless one today, real good fit.

I was surprised how much more light it gave in compared to the others I tied, I also tried a cressi frameless one and kept swapping between the 2 to make sure which I liked the best, I also tried the cressi big eyes but realised the thing about the frame being there and preferred the frameless ones, nobody had stock of the oceanic shadow to try out..... cant wait until Marsa Alam on Wednesday!!!!

I tried the atomic frameless ones in the shop (again), but was put of by how mucht the hard bits of the mask pressed against my face, can anyybody comment on that ?.

at the moment I am using a cressi minima mask. It is better to see the viewfinder and it is very small, but the field of view is not enoug (I keep loosing my buddies, and if I would dive in blue water, I might miss dolphins.....

HI,

just to add my two cents I use both types of the Atomic masks both very great to use BUT they both have a

tendency to mist up so I do use a good mask defogger & spit does not seem to work on these lens :)

Andy ;):P

HI,

just to add my two cents I use both types of the Atomic masks both very great to use BUT they both have a

tendency to mist up so I do use a good mask defogger & spit does not seem to work on these lens :)

Andy ;):P

I also have had fogging problems with my Atomic mask until I found Salclear NMP and AquaSport. NMP is a cleaner that removes any residual silicone and AquaSport is their defogger. I treat my mask with the AquaSport, let it dry and buff it out prior to diving. Then spray AquaSport and rinse once prior to each dive. Tried Sea Gold, Sea Drops, 500 PSI with mixed results, but the AquaSport works.

Elmer

Hi :P

I want to treat myself to a new mask for my next trip and thought if a low volume mask would be good where your eyes are closer to the glass, i think the cressi big eyes evo is one, are there any other ones or other types recommended? I know fit is the main thing but wouldnt mind some advice on the latest types out there that are available that might be better for one reason or another for photography?

Cheers

Woody ;)

My first couple of masks gave me problems. Was diving with a DM who just got a Shadow and it did not fit them so they let me try it so I could see if it worked. Bought it from them and have used it now for the last 8 years or so, also carry another one as a back-up. Definately check the fit of whatever mask you are looking at.

I like the Oceanic Shadow, I have used a few of aqualung's new masks but always come back to the shadow.

Another one worth mentioning are Mares new freediving masks.

I also have had fogging problems with my Atomic mask until I found Salclear NMP and AquaSport. NMP is a cleaner that removes any residual silicone and AquaSport is their defogger. I treat my mask with the AquaSport, let it dry and buff it out prior to diving. Then spray AquaSport and rinse once prior to each dive. Tried Sea Gold, Sea Drops, 500 PSI with mixed results, but the AquaSport works.

Elmer

I just use detergent, shampoo or toothpaste to clean the mask once before diving then it's saliva all the way as an antifog agent for the whole day. Sometimes the masks have a really thick residue left from assembly and can be really difficult to remove. I've used even open flame to remove it in a lurch. Don't try this at home folks :P

I just use detergent, shampoo or toothpaste to clean the mask once before diving then it's saliva all the way as an antifog agent for the whole day. Sometimes the masks have a really thick residue left from assembly and can be really difficult to remove. I've used even open flame to remove it in a lurch. Don't try this at home folks :P

Ditto.

Gotta clean that glass REALLY well... scrub the heck out of it.

A buddy has a good procedure up on his web page: http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/scuba_mask.html

(I don't usually need to bother, since I have a prescription mask and optical lenses do not have the same issues)

For my shadow i used the burning method to remove the silica on the lenses. Looks scary to do but after a couple of attempts it doesnt fog anymore.

I have to add I only used the burning method on other masks. The shadows I had never needed that drastic measure. Just a little tooth paste and detergent to clean them and they were good to good. The shadow just fits my face so well that I have the strapping quite loose so I can breathe out through my nose easily.

Sponsors

Advertisements