Sign in to follow this  
maurilyly

Pentax K-7 Housing?

Pentax launched new camera and I was wondering if anyone has experience in Pentax SLRs underwater and housings especially?

Greetings,

This is my first post here, glad to meet everybody.

Pentax launched new camera and I was wondering if anyone has experience in Pentax SLRs underwater and housings especially?

I was waiting for any replies to this post but most likely there will be none. No surprises, though. Pentax is not a popular brand in US, especially for underwater photography. I use Pentax SLR above the water and like it. Recently I started diving and obviously got interested in underwater photography, so I did some research on available housings. The choices are very limited. There are very few companies who makes housings for Pentax SLRs:

BS Kinetics - looks like very nice housing, I'm still considering it. This is custom order, you have to send your camera to Germany.

UK-Germany - there was a review of their housing here on Wetpixel - Review of UK-Germany housing for Pentax *istDS. They make housings for K10D and K20D, you have to send your camera over.

Nimar - their housings are getting okay reviews. Again, you have to ship your camera over, this time to Italy.

Fradotec - can be ordered at Mozaik or through their EBay storefront. The housing looks interesting and affordable, but there are a few quite negative responses on support and quality of Fradotec products. Your mileage may very.

Another minor (or not) problem is strobe connectivity. I'm almost sure none of the housings will provide conversion of Pentax pTTL to something less exotic. Most likely manual mode will be the only choice. Or, you can use Pentax flash units with housings, Fradotec and probably others can make them.

So, the best choice for Pentax camera owners - get yourself Nikon or Canon, unless you like challenges or willing to pay for everything custom ordered, alas. :)

Best regards,

--Vlad

I am a happy Pentax K10d owner for the last 3 years. Unfortunately, I only started diving last year and am now looking to combine both my passions and Pentax just doesn't seem to cut it underwater. Fortunately, I am making the change to a Nikon D300 before spending a whole lot more on lenses. Pentax should wake up and give a little support to the UW crowd.

Edited by rtluna

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements