snowscuba

Afraid to flood another camera. Need help.

Hi, thanks for checking my message. I have a Olympus housing for the Olympus 350. I had it flooded before in another trip, and I thought it had been my mistake for not taking good care of the o-ring.

I bought new o-ring and olympus specific silicone. Cleaned the housing, and bought a new camera.

I did a test on the pool with paper inside the housing.

Result: After about 10 minutes in the water, moving the camera around, pressing buttons and shaking it, I noticed some micro water drops inside. There weren't many, but did get some spots of the paper wet.

I hate to admit the housing is dead, so I am wondering can I still dive with the housing like that? Should I apply more vaseline to the o-ring?

I am diving tomorrow in Cabo and would love to take some pics.

Thanks a lot

Edited by snowscuba

A 'pool dive' will not be a proper test of the housing. I suggest you take the empty housing to depth tomorrow. Also, I'd recommend you stop using vaseline and get a tube of proper o-ring lube. Remember, less is more. Apply just enough lube to make the o-ring shine. It may be that a control button o-ring isn't sealing properly.

If the results of taking the empty housing to depth tomorrow, as Timmoranuk suggested, reveal a flood, you might want to go to Plan B. Plan B would be to rent a camera. Have you checked out to see if any of the dive shops can rent one to you so that you can take pics?

If your test at depth indicates no water in the housing, then I would consider it safe to use with the camera inside. But first clean the o-ring of the vaseline, let it dry and then lubricate with the proper lubricant. I would also inspect the o-ring carefully for hairs, small pieces of dirt, etc. I have even religiously used a magnifying glass to inspect the o-ring for offending particles that might cause a flood.

Good luck...I hope it all works out and you're able to get some underwater pics in Cabo!

Ellen

Vaseline is a petroleum jelly and should never be used on o-rings (or any other rubber diving gear) as it may damage them. Only use the correct approved silicone. The silicone IS NOT A SEALENT, adding more does not make it seal better - its function is to give the o-ring a tiny bit of lubrication so that it slides into its proper place. Thinking this way is a common mistake, and putting too much on will lead to leaks. As already mentioned above (Timmoranuk) the idea is to just put enough on so that the o-ring appears shiney, no more.

I would bring the housing to some depth in the sea with paper inside. Do your best to look inside before you go through all the controls and then as you are using the controls to see if you can see where the water is coming in. I would suspect it may have been the o-ring in the past if you have been putting too much lubricant on (and indeed the wrong type) - I have seen that happen before.

Good luck with it.

Rene.

As mentioned the O-Ring (Main) could be off or the control O-rings. I had a housing (less than 20 dives on it) where a leak developed in a O-Ring on a control. Would be fine until I started taking photos and pressed the shutter release then small amounts of water entered the housing. I had to send it back a couple of times to get fixed because even pressure testing did not reveal the issue and I was told I was wrong. Finally someone took it in the water and did the same exact steps I was describing and saw the leak. It was a part the was not user servicable...

If you really like the camera you now have, consider a more reliable housing for it. Maybe Ike?

It could be that the water is coming through a button. If you could isolate which one, you could always remove it and grease the orings with the Olympus Grease you purchased. A small leak in a pool will become a big leak at depth if its a button so the advice to dive without the camera is very good. There were only a couple of other ways to flood the PT-030. One was to not have the camera seated correctly...ie the zoom wouldn't work. The 2nd was to pinch the lens cap lanyard in the housing as you close it, therefore not allowing it to seal correctly. I managed to do both while using that setup. The shutter button was notorious for sticking and I would start there if you still have a leak tomorrow.

Hi GUys

thanks for all the advice.

I followed all the advice and did a dive test today. When we got to about 30ft I saw little drop inside. So went up and gave the housing to the captain and started our diving.

Dive was at Pelican's Rock and Neptunes Fingers in Cabo. Viz was not great, but lots of schools of fish, many guitarfish, lots of puffers and more.

Overall was fun.

Something is wrong with the housing, it's not just o ring. I will have to check it out, like send to olympus or somewhere.

Thanks all :-)

Sponsors

Advertisements