jtresfon

Sardine Run 2009

Anyone coming down to SA for the Sardine Run 2009???

Regards

Jean.

Hi Jean,

I'll be there starting June 29 for 10 days. Getting very excited!

Phil

Am planning a group trip.

How do I sign up I want in just got my aquatica housing and would love to test it out over there? What's best group to sign up with

One of these years I am going to make it down!!

My wife and I can't make it this year, but..... we are already booked for the 2010 Run from Durban starting June 26th. As an added bonus we just got our World Cup tickets confirmed for June 25th. World Cup game and the Sardine Run all-in-one. I'm completely land-locked in WA right now and I cannot friggin wait!

what is the best group to go with for the sardine run?

Try Barry and Celia Coleman of Meridian Dive,great people.Barry is a fantastic guy and very experienced.We used him for our documentary on sharks.Otherwise you can hook up with Steve and James from Blue Wilderness,they specialize in shark dives but im sure they will get your glass right up on the Shark action.I know they got plans for the run,however they might just be busy with the Beebsters again.

I myself,will hit it for a couple of days this year.

Travy :rolleyes:

Edited by Travy

I'm trying a slightly different option... Going with Mark & Gail Addison from Blue Wilderness (who are vastly experienced and well known for their Tiger Shark outings at Aliwal Shoal), but diving out of East London instead of Port St Johns. I'll be there from 11-18 June which is early but heres hoping!!!

Lastest report has the sards starting to come past East London in a bit more volume now.

Regards

Jean.

FYI Jean,

Viz is still bad in EL. Topside only. Keep your eye out on that cold front. There is where your fortunes lie. :rolleyes:

Greetings All

I will be down at Port St John's for the Sardien run this year from 28 June to 4 July. It would be great to meet up with others who are around in the evenings for dinner or drinks.

If you are keen drop me a line

Paul

FYI Jean,

Viz is still bad in EL. Topside only. Keep your eye out on that cold front. There is where your fortunes lie. :P

I'll be in Port St John's....28 Jun - 4 Jul

Paul

For drinks in PSJ, I suggest the Jungle Monkey OR if you guys want to watch sports on TV, the News Cafe.

LOL They report on action in the action with marine creatures... their own adventures don't count. Rog and Barry are both fine. They were beat after swimming in that water for hours. Good thing they were in the Agulhas current and not in shore where viz is crappier and water is 3-4° colder. They were tailed by sharks quite a bit apparently but that's to be expected.

They are not the first ones to be lost. Another ops lost 5 divers for 4 hours in 2006. Thankfully all found.

The wild coast has huge oceanic swells and with winds, it's VERY easy to lose sight of the buoy or bubbles. You have to respect the conditions in this part of the world.

1st confirmed sardinops sagax baitball confirmed. It's on!

Down here filming out of Mboyti (north of PSJ). This week there has been lots of action but poor vis. Loads of common and bottlenose dolphins. More sharks this year than most folks recall in recent years. Everytime you jump in you see dozens of them. Good amounts of gannets as well. The Brydes whales have been showing in large numbers. On one feed we had 6 or 7 tear it up. Problem has been that up until today there has been mostly of Red Eye action. Fast moving and spread out. Feeding stretching for kilometers. Also, humbacks have been pretty scarce as well.

Today things turned way up here. Water got cleaner and colder. Sardines balls were popping up everywhere. We had one ball that lasted for almost 2 hours. We were on 3 or 4 balls today. Sharks, dolphins and gannets were tearing things ups. With so much baitfish in the water, predators moved quickly from one ball to the next, so action was on then off. Humpbacks showed in bigger numbers as well with breaches all over. We spent some time with humpbacks and even a Mola Mola.

Overall a great day on the run!

One more suffering season for us readers! :)

OK so I arrived back last night after 6 days diving based in East London. Apparently as of yesterday (Thursday 18 June) the main shoal was 80km south of East London and is still due to come past in the next few days. We were very lucky and had a pilot shoal arrive on the 12th. I spent 5 hours in the water on probably 6 different bait balls and had the most dramatic in water action I've experienced in 20 years of diving. The following day had similar action but the vis had deteriorated and photography was difficult. The next 4 days were absent of any real action but we still had a great time whale watching and diving on the local reefs in between searches. The sardine run really is a lottery. You can spend a lot of money and get no result, but when it happens it is just incredible. I will be back next year!

I will post my shots in the next day or so but here are a few as a teaser in the meantime:

A Brydes whales makes a high speed pass within 2m of photographer Daniel Botelho

post-2915-1245401288.jpg

A gannet returns to surface after a deep dive

post-2915-1245401302.jpg

Dolphins hunt with amazing teamwork and precision

post-2915-1245401317.jpg

Videographer Paul Wildman captures and awesome baitball with a large Zambezi/Bull shark

post-2915-1245401329.jpg

Photographer Mark Van Coller drops over the side right onto a large Bronzie

post-2915-1245401342.jpg

Regards

Jean.

Fantastic Jean

I loved the Dolphin shot...

One year i will defo be there... :)

Dive safe

DeanB

Ouh man! This is so awesome!!!

It literally hurts to see these pictures knowing I'm not able go there any time soon.

Keep them coming!!! :)

Karel

Sponsors

Advertisements