Sign in to follow this  
woody

Exploding torch!

A number of contributions have been posted regarding the risks of exposing NiMH batteries to moisture. Well, I can certainly corroborate this!

Yesterday I was doing a night dive and as usual I had my Ikelite PCa torch strapped to my strobe. The torch has been playing up recently, with what was probably a poor contact, however usually once it comes on, it stays on. Not this time however, and it started to go off during the dive, and only come on again when I fiddle about with the front cover and the switch.

At a point it could not come on again, and I got a teensy bit frustrated and started bashing it with my backup. Suddenly, BOOM, a really loud bang and the front of the little light shot off into the distance, and six NiMH AA batteries floated gently down to the ground below!

I can only conclude that as a result of my bashing the torch, some water got in and created a release of gas from the batteries – result, high pressure, and boom!

Things I learnt

1. Treat equipment nicely

2. Be careful when opening equipment containing NiMH batteries

LOL

I had a PCa explode with NiMH batteries as well. Makes quite a sound.

NiMH Batteries by design are better suited to Strobes anyway as they handle the irregular discharges better than Nicad or even Lithium cells without degrading the recharge capacity. For the constant drain of torches use HC Nicad or Alkaline cells.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements