Sign in to follow this  
DavidG

Nikon D200 Freeze

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I went diving with my Subal ND20 and Nikon D200, everything was working perfect until about five minutes into the dive when I realize I wasn't able to take any photos. The camera was on and I was able to see the top display but when I looked thought the view finder I couldn't see anything and I wasn't able to turn the camera off.

When I came out the water I took the camera off the housing and I removing the battery everything was fine, just to be safe I put a new camera battery.

On the second dive I took few photos and everything was fine but the same thing happen again. :P

Does anyone had a similar problem before?

Thanks.

David

Edited by DavidG

Hi David!

What a pain. Odd that the viewfinder was black. That implies the mirror had flipped up - or you had left the lens cap on... ;-) Any chance you had the camera on Bulb by accident? Or on manual with a very long shutter speed?

My experience of camera freezing up is usually either a battery problem; or excessive pressure on a control button causing operating anomalies.

Weird.

Hi David!

What a pain. Odd that the viewfinder was black. That implies the mirror had flipped up - or you had left the lens cap on... ;-) Any chance you had the camera on Bulb by accident? Or on manual with a very long shutter speed?

My experience of camera freezing up is usually either a battery problem; or excessive pressure on a control button causing operating anomalies.

Weird.

Yeah this seems odd...a black viewfinder is a mirror lock-up. Have you been "investigating" the menus and sub-menus and by accident turned on the mirror-lock function (I use this when topside, shooting landscapes on a tripod with remote control to eliminate camera shake). Or perhaps you've put the shutter dial to self-timer and have a mega-delay set in the menu?

Maybe reset the camera to default and test again with the camera in the housing. I can't think of any control buttons on the body which if depressed constantly by an ill-placed lever would cause a blackout..in those cases you simply wouldn't be able to adjust the camera's regular parameters such as shutter speed, aperture etc.

One final thought - have you checked your ISO setting so that you're not asking the camera for infeasibly long exposure..?

Let us know how u get one

Steve

Thanks for you replies,

The camera was set up on Manual exposure and 100 ISO. Every time the camera freeze I wasn't able to change aperture or shutter speed or even to see the Menu.

It looks like that the problem only happens when the camera is inside the housing.

Thanks for all your help

David

I have no experience with Subal or Nikon, but had a similar problem with my 20D in an Ikelite housing. Maybe this helps, maybe not. One of the controls (dof-preview) is activated by a knob on a long shaft that can slide in and out (the same knob is also used to release the lens). That knob is not spring-loaded and under pressure it pushed hard enough that it engaged the dof-button on the camera and everything froze up. Only happened below 70ft and ruined my dive. Now I keep that knob rotated away from the dof-button when diving and it works just fine. Maybe there is a similar arrangement of controls with the Subal/Nikon combo.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements