33 members have voted

1. 1. which Marco Lens u will choice

• Nikon AFD 105mm
    • Nikon AFS 105mm VR
    • Sigma 105mm
    • Sigma 90mm
    • Tamron 90mm
    • Others.....

Hi, i'm Nikon user and planning to get 1 macro lens...i have read a lot off website and there have different of talk........

So need some more particularity advice.....i will consider few lens to choice but don't know which one go for,

Pls advice me if u have using it or before..... difference, por and con :P:):notworthy:

[EDIT typo corrected by moderator]

If you're planning to get one macro lens, I'd generally advise buying the 60mm lens as it's an easier lens to use. However, it would be helpful to know a bit more about the kinds of uw photography you plan on doing, what size critters you plan on taking images of, and in what conditions you will be diving.

Of the specific choices you gave in the poll, I have used both the older verison of the 105mm lens and the newer 105VR lens. The older 105mm lens would be cheaper to buy, but can be slow to autofocus. I really like the newer 105VR lens, although I haven't used it underwater yet.

Hope that helps,

Ellen

You don't have 60mm lens in the poll. That's the one I chose and use exclusively for UW macro work.

As Ellen suggests, we'd need to know your target subjects and water conditions. Additionally, what camera are you going to use it on?

It is also worth remembering that all the macro lenses are capable of 1:1 magnification and at 1:1 the only differences in the lenses is how close you'd be to the subject. If you are in clear water the 105mm lenses would be fine and they would also help with small skitty fish. If the viz is not great, a 105mm lens may produce less than satisfactory results.

I would rather have a Melissa lens... :P

But i had to choose a macRo lens would be the 105mmVR.

Sorry couldn't miss the joke.

I'm with Ellen and the 60mm-ers. I'm in the world muck capital at KBR and macro is the standard for us. 60mm is by far the most useful. 105mm is great for pygymy seahorses and commensal shrimps. But it is often too powerful for most subjects with you having to stand too far off the subject to get it all into frame: nudis for example.

105mm sure has its uses but 60mm is a better workhorse - in my environment at least.

I agree that the new 60 mm is a great all around macro lens and that the 105 VR limits you subject wise. But I have started using the older Nikkor 70-180 mm macro and have found it to be very flexible allowing general macro critters as well as small shrimp with one lens. It does not quite do 1:1 by itself, but will with a wet diopter. The more I use this lens the more I have come to like it.

Elmer

Thanks all fast reply.....

I'm staying in malaysia and only dive at asia country (clear water..i think :P ). I'm using nikon D80 with ikelite housing..... and just started DSLR shooting with 17-50mm lens only. i can manages to take marco with this lens even + wet close up lens.......i don't know how far i need if using 105mm and how close it is for 60mm......but i like take super marco and thinking 105mm + wet marco lens will helps and can get closer........

Any one can tell what is the max and min focul lenght for 105 and 60 for only 2cm object.....??????????????

Edited by ckchong

I'm with Ellen and the 60mm-ers. I'm in the world muck capital at KBR and macro is the standard for us. 60mm is by far the most useful. 105mm is great for pygymy seahorses and commensal shrimps. But it is often too powerful for most subjects with you having to stand too far off the subject to get it all into frame: nudis for example.

105mm sure has its uses but 60mm is a better workhorse - in my environment at least.

Timmy, you are on crack... :P

I use 105mm here.. 60mm, have to get too close

When are we next up for beer?

Get the Sigma 70mm Macro. You get 10mm more than the 60 and with a 1.4 teleconverter you get close to 98mm which in FF terms is close to 150mm on APS-C. Best of all, it's a FF lens so you can use it on your FF upgrade :P

Btw, the 70mm is one of Sigma's sharpest lens BUT as usual with Sigma, go to the store and try a few copies. Usually the issues are with the zooms but can never be too careful. :)

Just remember, there's no HSM so it's a bit rough on AF.

ckchong,

If you want to do super macro, you can use the 105 mm VR with a 5T or 6T dry diopter if your port will allow for it since it extends your lens length a little. That will give you greater than 1:1. The Nikon 5T and 6T are no longer made, but you should be able to pick up one on ebay.

Elmer

The 60mm is my favorite lens when the subject is motionless or not easily spooked. But the 105mm is just as necessary as the 60mm when shooting behaviour, especially cleaning or mating. Getting tight behaviour shots with the 60mm is risking scareing off the subjects. And the 105mm with the Subsee or 2xtc becomes my super macro set up as well. You would be way too close with it mounted on the 60mm. FWIW, IMHO....

You may want to check out Keri Wilk's articles on Dive Photo guide for U/W macro photography:

Super Macro Part 1

Super Macro part 2

Rand

Timmy, you are on crack... :P

Tsk, tsk, Mike Veitch, you have been on that island too long mate..... come on over to the bright lights of Bitung. Actually, you owe me a beer. I'll come and visit you. Its time I came to see what you guys get up over there. Name your day....

Mike is just unhappy he actually has to go home in a few weeks, plus being older he needs a longer lens to see the critters now.

oi! still better than perfect vision mister.. 20:10

i just forget things more... like buying Tim a beer...

Tim: how about around the 20th? i know you have access to boats :)

Timmy, you are on crack... :)

I don't live in an island, but I'm with Mike.

Sign me up for the beer.

I would choose the not yet released Tamron 60mm F2 macro.

I have a 60mm but I use the af-105-vr exclusively. It produces 1:1 at about 8" from the subject. I also use a +10 subsee wet diopter that gives me 2.2:1 at about 2-3".

Sponsors

Advertisements