Timmoranuk

Sub-notebook, linux, wine and lightroom

I'd love to tote a 'bells and whistles' sub-notebook though the £800.00 plus price tag for a 10-12" screen machine which can effectively run XP or Vista and CS4 is too much considering I already own a large Tosh notebook (which I'm unwilling to haul overseas...) and two powerful desktops.

So I'm considering a cheaper, less capable sub-notebook, perhaps something around the £250.00 mark. Clearly the specification of such a machine is going to to be limited but by running Linux (which only occupies a gig of HHD), Wine (to run windows programs under the Linux OS) and Lightroom 2 to view RAW files (which only requires a gig of RAM and a gig of HHD) the limited specification of a cheaper machine would seem, on paper, to work. An option to the Wine / Lightroom combo would be to run a RAW capable Linux application like Bibble.

I have absolutely no experience of Linux so I'd be gratefull to hear from any WPs who may have considered this option, perhaps tried it and what opinions you may have formed.

Many thanks in advance, Tim

Tim,

This has been on my to do list. Not for a netbook but for a small media server that I've built recently. Initially this was to serve my mp3's and videos but as it has a somewhat capable dual core Pentium cpu and motherboard, I find I use this machine more often as my daily PC for basic chores and web browsing as it's on 24/7. For more extensive photo editing and other heavy duty lifting, I have to fire up my main PC. I am currently running Ubuntu 8.10 which comes with the Gnome GUI. I'm far from being an expert on linux and that is what led me to Ubuntu. It appears to be well supported and there are a lot of support forums online. It's not the leanest linux distribution and not that much faster booting up (with GUI) than Windows. I've had mixed results with wine, although I finally got my office Lotus Notes email program working on it. Just one small word of warning, while the desktop version of Ubuntu does goes far to make this as close to Windows like GUI interface, there are still a few things you still might have to do via the command prompt which can be intimidating for some... But again, there a lot of user support sights for Ubuntu to help you out if you have the time...

In your case, I would be concern that a netbook (subnotebook) with an Intel Atom CPU might not have enough muscle. You might want to do a search on line if people are able to satisfactorily run Lightroom on a netbook.

Note: if you want to go full linux and all open-source software, there is an open-source photoshop equivalent called GIMP. I haven't used it that extensively though.

Edited by pakman

Thanks for your thoughts Pakman.

I have posted a simliar question on WineHQ ( http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=5204 ) which you may like to keep and eye on.

Actually I wasn't considering a netbook 'per se' with their very limted capability of a 500 khz clock. It was the niche of sub-notebooks which sport 1 - 1.5 gig processors and 160 gig HHDs which I was considering and seem to be retailing at around £250. I'm not expecting to do any post with such a machine. Frankly all that stuff is better done on my dual monitored desktop and graphics tablet anyway. And when I'm on dive vacation, I try to leave my 'anorak' at home... :)

All I realistically wish to do is to view RAW files, sort out the 'keepers', archive and backup to an external 2.5" HHD. A preliminary 'tweak' or two in Lightroom (or Bibble, etc.) may be nice but just to see the potential of a later crop and to have play with levels.

Ubuntu looks nice and I saw that OS for the first time only yesterday. With its included 'office' compatible suite I think it would be my preferred Linux based OS.

I appreciate your input.

I tried adobe lightroom under Windows XP with my wibrain (http://wibrain.com/products/main.php?Top_Class=A).

It is to slow to work with it. Irfanview was for me fast enough to browse my pictures (also raw) and to decide if the focus is good.

Lightroom under Wine will be a lot slower! I tried it with my ubuntu-workstation (dualcore 3.3GHZ and 4GB memory) and it was for me too slow. Don't think about a netbook.

Some alternative with Ubuntu are for example digikam oder lightzone!

Tim, Bad news. I just tried installing Lightroom 2.3 with Wine on Ubuntu. Doesn't run. Doing a quick check on google, appears there is some compatibility problem with my version of ubuntu. But it looks like it might run with Ubuntu 9.04 apparently.

http://www.lightcrafts.com/linux/index.html

Well, I've gone for a 10" Dell Inspiron Mini 10 ( http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products...n-10_n06m1002~~ ) with a 1.6 mHz clock, 1gb ram, a 160 gb HDD and XP (plus the HD screen, 6 cell battery and WIFI card upgrade). In theory Lightroom should just have enough system resources to run ( http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/systemreqs/ ), at least for viewing RAW files, I hope...

Otherwise I could try JASC Paintshop Pro. I have the old anniversary edition but I'm not sure it will open RAW files (CR2). Otherwisde it seems as though Infranview is an option - thanks for that Rachid.

Well, I hope the Dell can hack it. With a 10" screen its just right for a carry-on viewer and with some external 2.5" drives to back it up, it'll make our pair of P-2000s redundant.

Edited by Timmoranuk

Tim, keep us posted on how that Atom CPU handles Lightroom. Don't mean to rain on your new purchase, but I would be concerned about how well it's going to run Lightroom, if at all. While the Atom is clocked at 1.6mhz, it's really a very stripped down core and you shouldn't compare it purely by its clock speed. If I recall, the Atom is roughly the equivalent performance of an old Pentium III...

Pakman, if not Lightroom then maybe the new release of JASC Paintshop Pro. As I already have a copy of version 7 (not RAW capable), I qualify for an upgrade to Coral Paintshop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate ( http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/gb/...mp;tabview=tab0 ). X2 will handle RAW and requires fewer system resources than Lightroom.

The other one to consider is XP's RAW viewer ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en ).

Of course I can try the Dell and if it dosn't fly I can return it within seven days for a full refund :)

On balance, I think it would be better to stay with a windows OS as juggling Linux or Ubuntu with Wine introduces a layer of complexity I can do without...

The Dell is forecast to arrive by 6th July. For sure, I'll keep you posted.

I have a Netbook (Asus 1000he) with the Atom processor (N280), and it runs PhotoShop CS2 well enough for my limited in-field needs. I work with JPG instead of RAW, however, but that suffices for checking focus and such, and it certainly works well for backing up photos to the internal HD, an external HD, and 16gb USB sticks. (I could buy an external DVD burner, but haven't felt the need with all the other backups) I use an older version of ACDsee to view images quickly, and it's been fantastic. 6-7 hours of video playback off the battery is definitely nice on those long international flights (although my last flight had AC power so there wasn't as much need), as is the featherlight ~3lb weight!

I can't see traveling with a full size, large laptop again any time soon.

I considered the Asus but found the screen resolution fell short of Lightroom 2's requirements. The Dell's HD screen upgrade addressed this and the customer reviews rated this screen highly. Its good to know that The Asus can handle CS2 as I have a copy of CS which should therefore run on the similar spec Dell.

Another windows based RAW viewer option has occured to me and that is the Canon EOS utilies supplied with the camera. I'm sure its system requirements are going to be very modest.

MS's XP RAW viewer will not open CR2 files, despite stating differently. A quick google search threw up lots of adverse comments about this utility...

Hi Davichin,

May I ask which RAW viewing applications you successfully run on the Samsung? I notice it only has a 1024 x 600 screen so I guess that means Lightroom falls over...

Edited by Timmoranuk

Hi Davichin,

May I ask which RAW viewing applications you successfully run on the Samsung? I notice it only has a 1024 x 600 screen so I guess that means Lightroom falls over...

So far I run PerfectRAW, which is an interface to run DCRAW, but I have never tried Lightroom or any other in the Samsung:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dcraw

http://www.ojodigital.com/foro/perfectraw-...raw-0-65-a.html

Lightroom 2.3 is working with Ubuntu 8.10 and ubuntu 9.04.

You have to use the development Version of Wine!

Rachid, thanks for the confirmation. I've upgraded Wine to version 1.1.23 but the lightroom install keeps failing. I suspect it's the previous failed install attempts as lightroom doesn't appear to be uninstalling cleanly from wine. will try to run a error log from wine to see what's going on. Suspect I'll have to zap everything under wine and start clean...

My Dell Inspiron Mini 10 have just been delivered. The HD screen is great, Lightroom 2 runs and opens RAW (Canon CR2) files just fine. It seems as though post may be a little clunky but that's to be expected with only a gig of RAM to play with. But its only going to be used a travel viewer and storeage device. Data transfer from and to an external HDD is reasonably quick. I'll give it a 7/10 and a much better solution than my Epson P-2000s.

Good to see the new toy is working for you.

In case you decide to run Linux in the future, you might find this interesting.

I just discovered that Ubuntu desktop version does come with a photo management program called F-Stop. http://f-spot.org/Features Very simple program but can automatically import from flash drives, can read my Canon 40D CR files and display them in thumbnails and slide show. It does allow some basic edit functions but only for jpg's (not RAW). You can zoom, view a histogram and all metadata, rate/tag them, and organize by date.

BTW, did finally get Lightroom 2.3 working on Ubuntu (8.10 64 bit desktop) via Wine (1.1.24). It runs but the photos don't display. Even if I got it to run, it's painfully slow.

Sponsors

Advertisements