Marjo

Duct tape productions presents... Ringflashosaurus horribilus

I was supposed to be extremely busy packing today, so it is only natural that I got an unsurpressable urge to finally build that homemade ringflash I have been thinking about ever since I saw Alex's elegant creation.

A trip to K-mart did not yield a perfect casserole dish for the project. Martha Steward totally let me down in the department of round see-through plastic kitchenware. Score one for Rubbermaid, at least they had a set of 3 suitably dimmed dishes that could be chopped down to size. I also aquired one reflective car window solar protector and one large roll of duct tape.

3626877018_f8ffc3ed36.jpg

I tired to glue the lid of the dish to the dish with superglue, but it just would not stick, so all bonding was done with ductape.

I cut the bottom and most of the sides of the dish off leavng only about one inch as a rim

I cut down he springy metal piece of the solar reflector to match the inside onf the dish and threaded the entire reflector material onto this "hoop" to make a big reflective "pouch". This pouch went inside of the now cut down dish to form the inside reflector: the remaining one inch sides of the dish was lined with this reflective material. (Folded around the rim to line the inside, taped down on the outside.) Then I had hours of fun adding tons of duct tape to the outside of the pouch to "mold it" to a suitable shape. I also added little duct tape "sleeves" for the strobes ond a port hole for operating the focusing knob of the macro lens port.

I am not sure this contraption will do me any good for photographing fish, but I am determined to try it out for the giggles. It will also be a great piece of high tech gear to pull out of the camera bag to show off in case I meet another snobby photographer unimpressed by my rig like the one I met on my trip last year. At least this will be "exclusively designed and manufactured for me, the only one of its kind in fact. Scandinavian design and engineering by the way...".

I think the contraption did end up looking more like a gas mask than a ringflash, so I am sure it will come to some strange adn wonderful use even if it might fail in it original purpose. Perhaps the refective intertior could serve as a barracuda attractant. Well see, but if I use it for actually photographing fish, I will surely post the images here.

3626874684_a9ba0f0d66.jpg

3626079289_3962b4623d.jpg

3626894666_131ac7b6d1.jpg

3626105387_f39782219f.jpg

Edited by Marjo

OK, let's see the results! :)

Based on its size, if it were used in a 50's SciFi thriller, it would be....

"THE RING LIGHT THAT TOOK OVER NEW YORK CITY!"

But congrats on the creative thinking.

Gadzooks, the sci-fi properties are endless!

Can't wait to see the results.

Adam

Based on its size, if it were used in a 50's SciFi thriller, it would be....

"THE RING LIGHT THAT TOOK OVER NEW YORK CITY!"

But congrats on the creative thinking.

LOL, thanks! But to give credit where credit is due, the creative thinking bit was done by Alex Mustard, I just ripped off his idea and did the excessive taping bit :)

I am working on v 2.0 right now but it doesn't look like it will be ready for my trip as I leave Sunday and still need to somehow pack and do a million things. So this one is the one tgat gets to come along and get wet.

Hi Marjo!

Nice design...like your approach! simpel yet "elegant"...

I'm pretty shure it´ll work...I've DIY'ed a diffuser for my Focus light...wery similar "Design" and it works just great..

Please post some Photos taken with this ring flash...

Happy Hunting

:)

Very Nice, I like the concept., With a little development this could be quite the item.- J :angry:

Sorry, but the committee on nomenclature has an earlier name that must take precedence:

Annulocoruscosaurus elegans

(the beautiful flashing-circle-lizard)

:)

Tim

:angry:

Sponsors

Advertisements